• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floating Power Supply ICs?

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Hi, first timer here.

I am trying to design a circuit to power on a pulser that requires two relatively high voltages that are 12V apart. (for example, 100V & 88V, -100V & -88V)

I could use fixed voltages, but to open more options for future modifications, would like to find a way to supply a floating 12V across the two terminal and later raise it to higher voltages. (besides, I think that's how the chip is designed for...)

Are there any simple ways for making a 12V floating voltage regulator using op amps / voltage regulators / transistors etc....

Please let me know.




Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
No, you need a transformer that is working as part of a flyback converter.

A charge pump might also work...but it would be tricky since charge pumps like to double, triple, etc.. the voltage and in this case you need to increase it by only 22%. It would be a fancier charge pump than just using a flyback converter. It would also still, technically, not be a floating voltage method.
Last edited:


Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Consider two separate supplies, 88 volts and 12 volts.
Both supplies have the same basic circuit:
Transformer, Rectifier, smoothing capacitor and regulator.
Both cicuits are completely isolated from each other and earth.

To get 88 and 100volts, just connect the -ve side of the 12v supply to the +ve side of the 88v supply.

Note that you do not need two completely separate transformers, just one transformer with two completely separate secondary windings.



Well-Known Member
Are the voltages DC voltages?

Have you thought of an opto-coupler where the 12v difference in a set of voltages will operate the opto-coupler. If the voltage difference is reverse, another opto-coupler could be added across the first.
Then you have another set-up for the other set of voltages.
Then the output of each opto-coupler is sent to a circuit to produce a result.
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles