Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Floating pins on 74LS165

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernow boy

Hi I’m building a circuit to extend the number of input ports on a PIC device, by chaining 4 74LS165 (Shift registers). However there are a number of pins that are not used on the chips, and I remember from my college days that the unused pins should either be taken up to Vcc or down to Gnd via a resistor.

So do I take the unused pin high and low and what value resistor should I use.

Thanks in anticipation for your answers.

kernow boy said:
Hi I’m building a circuit to extend the number of input ports on a PIC device, by chaining 4 74LS165 (Shift registers). However there are a number of pins that are not used on the chips, and I remember from my college days that the unused pins should either be taken up to Vcc or down to Gnd via a resistor.

So do I take the unused pin high and low and what value resistor should I use.

Thanks in anticipation for your answers.

Which way to pull them depends on what those pins do. In other words, if some of them are logic inputs and you dont need to use them, you will probably need to pull them a certain way as to not change the way your design operates - so that question is for you to answer based on what logic value they can be at and not screw up circuit operation.

How you pull them, the following will probably work:

For TTL inputs:

Pull down = 1k to ground
Pull up = 10k to 50k to Vcc

For CMOS inputs:

Pull down = 1k to ground
Pull up = 10k to 250k to Vcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back