Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FLM-2601 TV will not power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

A friend of mine has a Polaroid FLM-2601 LCD TV. If you search for the model number, you immediately find a website describing problems with the TV not turning on.

Here's the link: FLM-2601 will not power on - FixYa

I suspected a similar issue. My friend said the power light used to turn on and after leaving the TV off for a while, picture came in for a while, but now no light at all. I tried a couple of additional power cords in different outlets to verify it wasn't a simple issue like that.

With no luck with the power cord, I dismantled the TV (it's out of warranty) to check the power supply. The website above suggests that the 1000uF caps blow up because they aren't rated at a high enough voltage. I didn't notice a problem with the caps, but did notice the fuse had blown.

Some pictures:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Those caps obviously aren't blown up, but I'm considering replacing them with higher voltage versions - that PC board is screwed in so I can remove it and access the bottom and remove them easy enough

I can get the cap replacements easy enough, but I'm not sure what fuse I need. It's a 4A, 250V fuse, but I can't figure out what the fuse type is based on the notation (T4AL). Ie: "Fast Acting, Short Time Lag". Any suggestions on the fuse or making the repair in general? Thanks!

Firstly, if the fuse has blown there could be a dead short on the line now. I would test the resistance 'looking into' the power cord, if it reads less than a couple of k ohms the bridge, FET(s) etc could have blown. If all is well, replace the fuse with a non fast-blow type, as there is usually an inrush current with switching power supplies. I've replaced loads of weak (too small) capacitors in various things, if the higher voltage and larger physically capacitor doesn't fit up-right, glue it flat on the board using epoxy and solder leads from it to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back