Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flipping a voltage signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcganley

Hi all,

Well, this is either going to be easy or impossible. I have a signal from a current transducer that produces a 0 to 5 VDC signal - 0 V when no AC current is detected, up to 5 V when it detects full scale AC amps. I want to use that voltage signal as an input to a motor controller, but I would like it changed from 5 to 0 VDC. That is, I want the full 5 V signal present when the transducer measures zero current, and zero volts present when the transducer has the maximum current through it.

Is there a simple circuit to do this? The controller has a +5 V pin, a signal pin, and ground for its voltage command input.

Thanks in advance.

Use an inverting op amp with a gain of one, and an offset of +2.5V applied to the plus(+) input (See below).

If your supply is +5V you will need a rail-to-rail type op amp.

Offset Inverter.jpg

Hi Carl,

Yes, this will do the job, thanks. Two last questions - I have the resistors, but would you suggest a particular type/vendor for the op amp? Is the 2.5 V offset done with a battery? Thanks again.

Yes, this will do the job, thanks. Two last questions - I have the resistors, but would you suggest a particular type/vendor for the op amp? Is the 2.5 V offset done with a battery? Thanks again.
A rail-to-rail op amp such as the TI TLV2374 should work for you application with a single 5V supply (you didn't state what your supply is).

The 2.5V can generated by a resistive divider from the power supply. Two equal resistors from a +5V supply will give 2.5V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back