Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FlipFlop from 555 and Mosfet Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

pha3z

I want to create a flip flop using a 555 chip. I prefer Mosfets over BJTs for my application because I want nice sharp square waves. Obviously, I can connect the gate of an enhancement-mode mosfet directly to pin 3 of the 555 and get a square signal. But I want another mosfet to create a inverted form of that signal. I was thinking the easiest thing to do might be to hook the gate of a depletion-mode mosfet right up to pin 3 along with the enhancement-mode mosfet. But I'm wondering what the next best method would be if I wanted to only use enhancement-mode mosfets. I don't really understand how to use inverters properly or something similar. Can anyone help? Maybe show a circuit diagram and reference a specific component?

FYI: I need to be able to handle at least 600volts and 5amps in this circuit. I know I can get more amps by adding more mosfets in parallel.

Why not just redefine the meaning of SET and RESET in the 555's internal flip flop, and use a NFET?

Can the 600V supply and the Vdd for the 555 share a common ground?

What do the Set and Reset inputs come from?

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean when you're saying to redefine the set and reset of the internal flip flop and use an nfet.

The problem I'm having is that the 555 has a single output. But I want to create two seperate legs. Leg A would be High when Leg B would be Low and vice versa. This would create functionality like a traditional flip-flop or multivibrator circuit where you have two outputs that are opposite phase.

Yes the 600V supply and 555 can share common ground.

Set and Reset inputs are configured in the usual way for Astable mode. They are not being used as triggers. I just need a free-running signal. I'm using the typical circuit for running a 555 in Astable mode. You can find it by googling. I would post a link to a picture but the forum won't let my first posts contain links without a moderator checking them.

I can't visualize what you are trying to do? Could you post a block diagram, or a rough schematic?

What is the role of the inverter between the 555 and the high voltage NFET? Is it just to redefine the duty cycle of the 555 astable? If so, there are ways to make the 555 put out an "inverted" waveform without an external inverter stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back