Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flip-Flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

I need a device that should have two inputs - EN, IN - and two outputs - OUT1, OUT2.
It should behave according to the following requirements:
untitled-png.38675

I believe that I need a Flip-Flop, is that right?

Perhaps you could give me an example for such device and spec that i should pay attention to so i could smartly purchase such device?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 501
Here is the chip that provides the outputs as required by the Truth Table above:

**broken link removed**
This chip does not need a clock. The outputs respond within 10uS.

Last edited:
I need a device that should have two inputs - EN, IN - and two outputs - OUT1, OUT2.
It should behave according to the following requirements:
untitled-png.38675

I believe that I need a Flip-Flop, is that right?

Perhaps you could give me an example for such device and spec that i should pay attention to so i could smartly purchase such device?

Thank you.

A flipflop needs a clock.

From the truth table, it's not a flip flop - unless the table is incomplete. I guess you could call it a gatable buffer with complementary output. I don't know of any ICs that have that function off the top of my head.

Here is the chip that provides the outputs as required by the Truth Table above:

**broken link removed**
What is a TE555?

A flipflop needs a clock.
Except RS FF.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
If its not a Flip-Flop, then how is such device called so i could find it in Mouser, Digikey and such.

**broken link removed**
Colin, could you please post a link to TE555's datasheet?
I cant seem to find it.

Thank you.

Thanks guys.
If its not a Flip-Flop, then how is such device called so i could find it in Mouser, Digikey and such.
Colin, could you please post a link to TE555's datasheet?
I cant seem to find it.

Thank you.

There might be a more simple method but I think this will work.

logic_circuit_1-png.38678

Attachments

• Logic_circuit_1.PNG
    Logic_circuit_1.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 588
@Vne
Its actually the exact implementation of the truth table i posted, so its great.

@Eric
Its just the IC i was looking for.
Is it possible to find such IC in a smaller package?
Since I only need only 4 pins after all (2 inputs and two outputs), as drawn by Vne.

hi vne,
This is your circuit in a LTS sim.:)

View attachment 38680

Thanks for verifying.

@Vne
Its actually the exact implementation of the truth table i posted, so its great.

@Eric
Its just the IC i was looking for.
Is it possible to find such IC in a smaller package?
Since I only need only 4 pins after all (2 inputs and two outputs), as drawn by Vne.

Alpha,

Are you opposed to using a micro-controller? A small 8 pin PIC could easily do this.

Alpha,

Are you opposed to using a micro-controller? A small 8 pin PIC could easily do this.
There have been a lot of overkill applications posted for a micro-controller but suggesting that it be used to perform a 2 input static logic function is the biggest overkill I've seen so far.

Congratulations.:rolleyes:

There have been a lot of overkill applications posted for a micro-controller but suggesting that it be used to perform a 2 input static logic function is the biggest overkill I've seen so far.

Congratulations.:rolleyes:

Sheesh. :rolleyes: I'll agree that a PIC can do MUCH more than what he needs but what's the difference between using an 8 pin 60 cent PIC over a 16 pin 40 cent logic IC? Unless he's making hundreds of these things, there isn't one in my opinion.

He expressed a desire for something in a smaller package and the PIC is one answer. I don't understand this urge to use a micro-controller only when it's absolutely necessary. It's so cheap, small, and easy to program...who cares!?! And I also did offer a logic IC solution first albeit not nearly as neat as Eric's answer.

Alpha, there is nothing wrong with using a PIC for this if you know how to and are so inclined. Good luck with your project.

Firstly a micro costs 33 cents.
Secondly, it will replace 3 chips
Thirdly, it will prevent a lot of others from trying to copy a design.
and fourthly, it will allow you to charge a higher fee for your design.
I have been cheated so many times by customers.
They request a design on the understanding that a payment will be determined over the lifetime of the product. They then go and copy the design and pay practically nothing.
I have found a micro stops them in their tracks.
There has never been a case where a micro has not been the best choice to prevent industrial theft.
However in this case, 3 simple IC's is best for a single application.

Last edited:
Hi,
That's actually an incorrect statement.

Depends how you want to use it.
eg You can flip flop it manually using push buttons.

Mike's statement is totally correct. When you trigger a F/F with a switch, you connect the switch to the clock input.

Last edited:
No, you are messing up the word 'correct' with 'BS'.

There are a bunch of different types of FF, including RS, D, T, JK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back