Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flex sensors sensitivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahm

Hello,

I would like to send a signal when an object (long, plank-like) is 'bent' to a certain point (trying to help athletes get instant feedback on how they are interacting with their equipment). The problem is that point is somewhere around a 5 degree bend. I've done some googling on flex sensors and they all seem to be reliable somewhere past the 10 degree mark. Any ideas of where I could find a flex /bend sensor with enough sensitivity? Or do I have to use a more expensive option (and if so, what?)

Thanks,
Sarah

Couldn't you use some sort of mechanical amplification? The tip of your plank may move only 2cms for a 5degree flex, but that 2cm, when applied to flex sensor's tip, will bend the sensor by a huge angle, provided the flex sensor is much shorter than the plank.

Hi astronomerroyal , and thanks for the reply - it made me think!

not exactly sure what sort of mechanical amplifier I could use in my case - but - to give more details - I'm trying to give feedback to a skier when a ski is 'flexed' to a certain point while skiing. A 160 cm ski, for instance, does not deflect much more than 5 or 10 cm when fully flexed (it does vary largely between different types of skis with different types of stiffness - but on average). So the 'beam' in my case is basically forming an arc - with a constant (small) angle. Is there a mechanical amplifier that would work in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back