Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing strip of LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanna256

I have a 12V powered LED circuit. 6LEDs in total, with 50ohms resistors.

Now, I would like to make these LED flash, at a slow rate (1/4 second on, 1/4 second off). I am a bit familiar with the 555 timer circuits, but will the 555 be strong enough to drive those 6LEDs (they are 20mA, 2V leds). What if i increase the LEDs to 24 LEDs in the future (4 strips of 6 LEDs), will the 555 still be enough, or do I need to add a relay or something similar?

Will it be better to go with a micro-controller? I am not familiar with that, but would like to try it just for fun. Where will it be a good place to start with micro-controller circuit driving LEDs (there are tons of sites, I know, but would like to start somewhere good and complete). Micro-controller is probably overkill for this, but this would be a good time for me to learn it.

Thanks

The 555 is capable of driving ~200mA, sourcing or sinking. There will be a slight (~0.5V) drop between the 555's pin 3 and either 12V or ground, depending on how you have the load connected.

Thanks for the reply.

Now if I want with one pushbutton switch to have 4 functions: 1 press - Turn ON Solid lights; 1 press - Turn blinking leds; 1 press - Increase the blinking (twice as fast); last press - Turn OFF.

Do I need 4 LEDs drivers?

You need a dual Flip-Flop wired as a 2-bit, four-state, counter. The decoded states of the counter can control the 555's blink rate.

The output of the decode state is either 00, 01, 10 or 11. Right? How do I control the blink rate with that? It has been a long time since I came up with an electronic design, I am bit rusted...

Actually, those are the counter bit states. A 2-line to 4-line decoder would give you four outputs, which are true one at a time. The four outputs can be used to modify the operation of the 555.

Thanks again.

I had some kind of LED flash light that I just took apart. The flash light had 6LEDs, with a pushbutton and 3 batteries. One pushbutton the LEDs are ON solid, than one pushbutton they blink, and so on (there 6 different settings). I was surprised to see 3 components only: The pushbutton itself, One component that looks a surface mount resistor that just says "M1" on it, I measured is about 260ohms. And one big "resin" bulb (or dome) that I am guessing is some sort of cheap way of making a capacitor. Is that possible? No IC, nothing, just those 3 components, 2cm by 2cm PCB!!! The LED are regular LED (no flashing, 2 pin LEDs, not tri-color or anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back