Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flashing LED,s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone. Let me start by saying I know absolutley nothing about electronics, circuits or curcuit boards but can do what I'm told.
I need help in making a visual panel that has two blinking led's that will run off a 12v transformer. This will be put into a dummy alarm bell box. I did buy a bell box and tried to get the led's flashing but they seemed to flash in a "triggered sequence" and then only with the battery which soon ran down.
The idea is to create a visual ditterant by having a bell box with the led's flashing although I dont have a control panel fitted.I thought I could just wire up the box to a 12v supply and it would work.(Silly me). If some one knows how to adapt the box or can draw me an idiots guide to making a circuit board to fit in the box, I would be grateful. I would also need a list of what to buy and how to build it.Also an explanation of what bit does what so I can get a better understanding of what Im doing. Thats not too much to ask is it !!!
Thanks in advance.
Mick:confused:

Flashing LED's

I haven't got a schema handy here at my work, but try google and look under 555 LED circuits.
There is a common one which flashes 2 LED's, like at a railway crossing.
It is simple to build and uses cheap commonly available components.

Thanks for your speedy reply. The circuits might be easy for you but for me they are lines on a page.I do appreciate your help though. Any suggestions for a site that explains simple circuits and what all the bits do?
Cheers Mick

You can buy flashing leds out of the box. Just connect DC and away you go:

Yep,

Go to your nearest Maplins and buy

2x flashing LEDs - order code uk37 (red 5mm, there is different sizes and colour also).

2x 270 or 330 ohm resistors - order code M270R, M330R etc. (lower value - brighter. higher value - longer battery life)

a battery - order code MM22. (12V 1.3Ah, 97 x 43 x 52 mm).

a bag of wire.

Connect +ve of battery to leg of resistor, other leg of resistor to LONGER LEG of LED, and finally shorter leg of LED back to negative of battery.

Do this with both resistors/led (in parallel).

Thank you very much .All this help from all around the world just so I can get two little LED,s flashing.I went on the maplin site and ordered the goods.Fingers crossed! As you all wont be able to sleep until you know how I got on, I will let you know in due course. Thanks again, Mick

try this simple multivibrator

Attachments

• blinkie_lights.gif
    blinkie_lights.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 366
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back