Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flashing LED question?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckers

Hi everyone,
I am a model trucker and am wanting to make hazard lights for my truck (orange led) and reverse lights (white led) come on when the vehicle is in reverse. I am wanting to connect to the esc so once in reverse the hazards and reverse lights come on.
I would like the white led's on constant,whilst in reverse, and the orange led's to flash on for one second off for one second and repeat until the truck goes forward.
Could someone please help?, I have basic electronic knowledge and can solder, what I don't know is the circuit needed to control the flashing led's, I have tried regular flashing led's and the pulse is too quick, how can I slow it down?
The battery I am using is a 7.2 six cell NiMh 4500Mah.
A shopping list and pointers would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks in advance
Craig

Hi natek83, cheers for the link. My esc doesn't have any outputs for controlling lighting but I was going to make a connection before going into the motor.

I am a noob as well so as far as this project goes I'd have three problems helping any further I originally posted because I thought that link would give you a good place to start off. My first issue is that the blink of the led is going to be extremely short and you may want to modify it so that the led's dutycycle (time on vs. time off) is 50%. This would be possible with a couple transistors between the lm555 and the led but I'm not certain on the exact configuration. I'm also not certain about the effect of omitting the 2nd led and the speaker and adding this other stuff I'm talking about. The last issue is how to turn the esc's output into a on/off switch. If you know about esc's they use a fixed rate of pulses and vary the duty cycle from 0-100% to change the speed of the motor. I'm not sure of the best way to convert a pulsed signal to a continous one.

I am more mechanically minded so this baffles me. I wonder could I take a signal from the receiver before it goes to the esc ( same channel) to act as the on/off switch?

**broken link removed**

I gave this some more thought and this is what I came up with for the switch. It uses a diode, capacitor and pnp transistor. It's connected to both the battery (V+) and and esc positive end. Then the output powers the metronome circuit in place of the battery+switch from the original schematic. Would deffinately need someone experienced to see if this is viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back