Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flasher/driver circuit for LED tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeprodigy

Hi All,

I am working on a small project where i need a compact circuit to drive an LED strip light (3528 SMD) with a 3.7V Li-Po battery. The compact circuit may also include a flasher. The LED strip/tape lights usually run on 12V supply.

Can this be done assuming there will be only 15 SMD lights being used at any one time ? If yes, do you know of any manufacturers who cater to such needs in UK or in India (New Delhi) ?

I am a newbie to designing circuits practically so really appreciate all the support.

Thanks !

Kind Regards,
Joe

Welcome to ETO!
What is the LED current rating?
When you say 15 LEDs, is that 5 strips, each strip having 3 LEDs in series? Or what?
To run the LEDs from a single 3.7V Lipo will require a DC-to-DC converter: not really something for a newbie to build. Time to get googling for a ready-made converter IMO.

A "3.7V" Li-Po cell is 4.2V when fully charged and its voltage slowly drops as it discharges. Its voltage is 3.2V when it should have its load disconnected to avoid damage to the cell. Then its "average" voltage is 3.7V.
You need a voltage stepup circuit that can operate from 3.2V to 4.2V to produce 12V with as much output current as your LEDs need.

I would just use a hv9910b chip in a boost converter. I would use a micrel mini boost converter to supply operating voltage to the hv9910b from the lipo battery
say a mic2619 or similar.

Every new LED designer wants something different and wants the cheapest and smallest solution.

Since real design is about tradeoffs and real requirements can you be more specific on what you can afford, are capable of building, how many, what features and performance and how soon??

Yet Google images has millions of solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back