Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fixing my BMW mid backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt nigro

ok so like the title says im fixing my bmw mid(multi info display)for long. what has happened is the back light stopped working. and upon removal of the radio and display i saw that there were actual light bulbs burned out. on further study i realize that these are incandescent bulbs.
now i have been looking online for replacement bulbs and what i came up with so far is that they are T1 and look like this (link below) does anyone know how to figure out the proper watt, voltage of my old bulbs. it dose not say on them and was also wondering where i can get them locally? i am in the Toronto area. thanks

Sylvania 37747 2187 Miniature Automotive Light Bulb at eLightBulbs.com

Well, the voltage should be pretty easy to figure out. If your bike battery is 12V then 12V bulbs are what you need, assuming they are not in series. I would use 14v or even 18V bulbs for longer life since the battery voltage will climb to around 14v with the engine running. As for wattage, that is more difficult. I assume the bulbs are only needed for night riding so won't need to be very bright. There are BMW forums, so you might find more info there.

Last edited:
How many bulbs are there?

If there's more than one, are you sure they've all burned out?

If they're connected in series, if one burns out, the rest won't work, like old Christmas tree lights.

The Wattage probably isn't critical, my guess is they're about 1W or less.

Last edited:
Replace with LEDs and you'll never have to fuss with it again. It may take a circuit config. but it's better than replacing filament type lamps! Shame on BMW - and here I thought they were a cut above the rest for the very things like this in an automobile.

ok thank you very much i will try 12-14 v 1w or less. does anyone know where i can get them for cheaper than the source. the source sells 10v ones for 6$ a pop and i need 5. and yes i know they are burned out because they are black in color. however i don't want to return to doing this so i will change them all anyways.

Replace with LEDs and you'll never have to fuss with it again. It may take a circuit config. but it's better than replacing filament type lamps! Shame on BMW - and here I thought they were a cut above the rest for the very things like this in an automobile.

they are, from 2000+ they use LED's in the radio. i have a 2003 but what happened is that my mid went toast so this is my second hand one from a 99' model. from 1997-2003 is the same car just minor changes with each year.

Bit of a hopefull claim - LED lights on cars commonly fail as well. I imagine they are far more reliable then bulbs, but also a lot more expensive and difficult to replace.

I repaired a Mercedes third brakelight last year (£300 or something silly from Mercedes), I managed to find the exact same SM LED's at RS Components, and replaced all the faulty ones (I think four or five had failed)?. I've still got a load left, as they came on a 25 piece strip.

As it's for a backlight I would recommend replacing them with LEDs.

I think diffused white LEDs would be best, unless you fancy changing the colour?

White LEDs generally have a voltage drop of 3.5V and you need five so you could connect three in series with a 150Ω resistor and two in series with a 470Ω resistor.

The LEDs must be diffused meaning the case will be look like frosted glass not purely transparent.

If you'd filled your location in, we might be able to tell you where to buy some replacement bulbs or LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back