Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fix dell laptop, what to look for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

HI all again, got another problem with a dell product not under warranty :).
Anyways, i have 2 dell 5160's. The first one had the dc power jack go bad on it a while back and i replaced it and have had no problems. The second one recently had the same problem, and again the jack was broken, but when i replaced it, it would still not charge. AFter reading around a bit, i guess this is common with these laptops, and they say other things may need replaced around the jack. (such as caps, resistors,diodes ect..), but so far i have not found anything out of the ordinary. Anyone here ever have a similar problem with one of these laptops? (long shot i know, but thought id ask.)
Thanks!

I haven't had any prior experience with Dell's, however, have you checked to see whether the 2nd one's charger is outputting correct voltage and current under load?
Also, will the laptop power up with the battery removed and the dc power connected?

Both chargers are okay. The broken power jack is a well know issue on this model, and when i went to replace it sure enough the jack itself had pins broken inside the connector. I put the new one in, and everything checks out okay but i have not gone pas the jack yet. It will not power up without the battery, so currently i am using my other laptop to charge this ones battery. Someone said to check capactiors around the jack, so i guess i will be doing that next.

Yep, that's a good idea. Also check the tracks on the pcb around the jack just in case - they may have cracked when the jack was damaged.
Check any diodes in the vicinity of the jack as well - as if they are o/c they won't pass any current at all, I wouldn't know what could cause this (aside from age/wear and tare), but no harm in checking.

Let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back