Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

first joule thief :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your photo had extra components and it would have confused the issue for those beginners making the project. Things have to be simple and easy to understand. The project is already a very sophisticated and complex design.
I don't see the capacitor in your photo and I explained how it improved the efficiency of the circuit considerably.
You could always crop the picture! ;) but that was mostly a jest as this post simply reminded me that I actually did this some years ago and posted the results here.

Yes I understand the capacitor is not in the circuit, that's because I tried it with absolutely no observable effect and I also asked you to describe the methods you used for measuring this so called drastic efficiency increase and you never specified your methods. The only way to properly measure efficiency due to the high frequency and irregular waveshape is with a relatively decent DSO measuring power in / power out and you never posted such scope shots that lend credence to the efficiency claim.

I'm not saying your claims are false but if you can't substantiate them without describing analytic methods that are based on firm observations with appropriate equipment. You have demonstrated no proof of your claim and you failed to respond to this same question in the thread I started and I would ask you again to firmly explain in detail sufficiently technical to justify it's accuracy of your efficiency claim and exactly what methods you used to measure the input and output power.

Perhaps if voidptr ends up getting a decent scope he could post the results if he decides he's really curious enough, I will the day I get a decent DSP which I don't see happening anytime soon :( I remember the thread from three years ago, so I don't think I'll forget about this when I end up either owning one or have access to a decent DSO, my personal curiosity on this particular matter is quiet high.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but all this post does it to show that you know nothing of the chemistry involved and the realities of what occurs the the materials that make up a lead acid battery age over time.

That's an ambitious statement since u don't know me or my qualifications.

Desulfation can help something like a marine battery that is deeply discharged or cells that's been left idle for too long and have completely drained, if a desulfation cycle is run before it's recharged it will help prolong usable life and can allow charging of cells that have been sitting idle far too long, but it can not infinitely extend life, and lead acid packs that are used in say automobile applications were they're kept at a proper float charge and used for starting or just power buffering will eventually die from the lead paste inside the plates becoming inert over time and desulfation can not fix this. Even deep cycle batteries will eventually die and desulfation again can not fix it because it's not sulfation in the end that causes the battery to fail it's passivization of the active lead compound that lead acid cells require to work.

This is mostly correct as deep discharge batteries use solid lead/antimony as opposed to thinner lead grid plates in auto batts.

There is still value in developing the technology.

I direct you to :
https://gbbattery.com/FAQ.html

Item 8 which clearly discusses sucessfully reversing sulphation.

Last edited:
Mosaic, again you are showing you have not researched this issue at all. You can buy commercial desulfators already. The inevitable death of a lead acid battery is not reversible. **broken link removed**.

SC you will observe that this suggestion overlooks the matter of sub 100Hz pulsing. Thus it is not at all a solution for the subject at hand.

subject at hand ?
ho i see is the subject is how to highjack a thread without even saying a word about the original subject ?
if so you really gave me a real nice howto thanks !
i think on that subject you surely very very competent....

Mosaic, again you are showing you have not researched this issue at all. You can buy commercial desulfators already. The inevitable death of a lead acid battery is not reversible. **broken link removed**.

Sigh:
I have several 'commercial' desulphators under test as we speak.

It boots nothing to discuss matters that challenge contemporary thinking with boxed minds. Reminds me of 'the Earth is FLAT!' or 'the Sun orbits the Earth!' type of thinking and challenging it is Blasphemy.
LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back