Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First attempt at robotics

Status
Not open for further replies.

raitl

Hi. I'm a bginner in robotics and been working on my first bot for a week now. I have it "up and running" with basic (bump switch based) navigation. Now I'm implementing IR object detection and I've run into a problem I can't seem to overcome...

I'm using mostly recycled parts for the bot, except for the PIC16F876A microcontroller. So my IR system consists of one TSOP1738 IR reciever and two IR leds from old TV remotes. I have everything wired to the PIC and the receiver works...somewhat when I point a remote at it and press buttons. Sometimes it gets a reading and sometimes not. It might be that the remotes aren't exactky 38kHz so that's not a big problem. The big problem is, that my IR leds don't want to communicate with the reciever. I'm using PWM to modulate the IR light at exactly 38kHz, but I suspect I have not set up the hardware PWM correctly.

Code:
	BANK1		
	movlw	0x34			;PWM period
	movwf	PR2
	BANK0		; register bank 0
	bsf	CCP1CON, 4		; Determine
	bcf	CCP1CON, 5		; PWM duty cycle
	movlw	b'01000000'		; initial duty cycle
	movwf	CCPR1L
	BANK1		; register bank 1
	bcf	TRISC, 2		; port c is an output
	BANK0		; register bank 0
	movlw	b'00000100'		; 
	movwf	T2CON			; PWM on TIMER2

could someone help me calculate the appropriate values to get the led blink at exactly 38kHz? And explain the values aswell.

Thanks in advance.

you have done a lot in a week..
i am not sure that i can help , but what is your clock frequency of the 876A ?..

It's easier to get an accurate frequency if you use a simple software loop to generate the 38KHz, as you also only need to generate a few cycles (and on different pins), it's probably the best way.

DUH! Hehe, I forgot to add the clock frequency indeed...

I'm using an 8MHz resonator.

And, well...if someone could tell me how many ms is one Hz, I could use the software loop using the basic WAIT/WAITX macro, right?

P.S.
Excuse me if I ask stupid or simple questions at times. The whole assembler language and coding is new to me aswell and I think I have an information overdose by now from all those tutorials and howto's.

raitl said:
DUH! Hehe, I forgot to add the clock frequency indeed...

I'm using an 8MHz resonator.

And, well...if someone could tell me how many ms is one Hz, I could use the software loop using the basic WAIT/WAITX macro, right?

It's probably not accurate enough? - it depends on the resolution it provides.

To get the time for one cycle, simply divide one by the frequency, so 1/38000 gives 26uS. This means 13uS ON, and 13uS OFF, for a 50% duty cycle.

Ok, I set aside the IR object detection project for a bit and concentrate on the carriage of the bot. I'm using a pair of stepper motors from a 'Brother' electrical typewriter, but they don't do the job too well... They are a version of PM25L-s from Mineba Electronics. And I can't get the torque I need from them. My bot is 10x10cm and has two 5cm dia wheels which I got from breaking apart a set of office chair wheels.

I'm using four 1.2V AAA rechargeable batteries to power the two motors. Is there any way to increase the torque? The typewriter was feeding the motors 5V so I guess that's their working voltage. Would increasing voltage/current help?

So I guess there's no way to increase the torque other than getting new steppers... Ok, I'll settle with what I have for now and continue to work with the IR obstacle detection. The bot is a test platform for learning how things work anyways. So I'll just keep in mind to get decent motors for my 'real' bot :)

raitl said:
So I guess there's no way to increase the torque other than getting new steppers... Ok, I'll settle with what I have for now and continue to work with the IR obstacle detection. The bot is a test platform for learning how things work anyways. So I'll just keep in mind to get decent motors for my 'real' bot :)

Stepper aren't a good choice for a simple robot, you can increase torque by feeding them from a far higher voltage through a high wattage series resistor - but this is obviously inconvenient on a robot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back