Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Firmware is the most expensive thing in the universe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading the book "The art of designing embedded systems" and came across the phrase "Firmware is the most expensive thing in the universe". It's true, considering Firmware has no mass. (about $25-$50 per line of code)

The book also mentions that NASA paid $1000 per statement for the space shuttle firmware, and that Firmware accounts for 40% of the cost of a fighter jet.

I'm enjoying the book.

Last edited:
It's true, considering Firmware has no mass.
Unless you consider the mass of the electrons on the floating gates of the the flash memory array.... :D But the $$$/mass ratio would be huge anyway...
I am currently playing around with some free firmware (PIC based HTTP server) for the ENC28J60 ethernet IC from Microchip..... It is really cool to be able to control a LED from Internet explorer for such little effort using light weight firmware you can download for free. :)

That might be cool
but my connection is off as much as it is on :(
high speed yeah when its connected...
maybe my cable modem needs to be replaced ?
or the router or both
the modem is about four years old?

williB said:
That might be cool
but my connection is off as much as it is on :(
high speed yeah when its connected...
maybe my cable modem needs to be replaced ?
or the router or both
the modem is about four years old?
Call your cable provider. In Toronto Rogers was more than happy to replace their old modem for a new one.

As for the router, got an old PC laying around? This is awesome software and it's free.
https://www.clarkconnect.com/
Really I have nothing but praise for it. Now when project #3 comes out it will tie into this.;)

Last edited:
i may have to buy another one ,because for the past four years i paid $0.0
modem rental fee, because i bought it
it served its purpose i think :)
William At MyBlueRoom said:
As for the router, got an old PC laying around? This is awesome software and it's free.
https://www.clarkconnect.com/
Really I have nothing but praise for it. Now when project #3 comes out it will tie into this.;)
yes a few , i go to garage sales & look around town its amazing what people through out.

kchriste said:
It is really cool to be able to control a LED from Internet explorer :)

no wonder 'ordinary people' think engineers are geeks

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Firmware is actually the cheeeepest thing in the universe. If we didn't have firmware then where would windoze start when it booted up. We pay a lot for windoze and nothing for the firmware that makes it runable.

When it comes to no mass, I guess that all knowledge has no mass and therefore all knowledge has infinite value.

Mike.
P.S.vGrim, are you not an engineer?

That might be cool
but my connection is off as much as it is on
Right now it is just on the LAN side of the router since my ISP doesn't allow me to run a Web server. Not to mention that I'm not sure how robust the TCP stack is yet and I'm just playing around with it right now...
no wonder 'ordinary people' think engineers are geeks
Any ideas of something geekier than an HTML controlled LED? The more pointless the function the better. :D
BTW, I'm not an engineer... ;)

kchriste said:
Right now it is just on the LAN side of the router since my ISP doesn't allow me to run a Web server. Not to mention that I'm not sure how robust the TCP stack is yet and I'm just playing around with it right now...

Any ideas of something geekier than an HTML controlled LED? The more pointless the function the better. :D
BTW, I'm not an engineer... ;)
**broken link removed**

Change ISPs, they block port 80... evil.

More pointless, hmm how about an HTML controlled "Billy Bass":rolleyes:
**broken link removed**

William At MyBlueRoom said:
The book also mentions that NASA paid $1000 per statement for the space shuttle firmware, and that Firmware accounts for 40% of the cost of a fighter jet.

An old friend of mine, who I've not seen for many years, used to write software for military missiles - for a large UK defence contractor.

His wife used to work in Public Relations for the same company, one of her jobs was providing prostitutes for visiting dignitaries at posh dinners - she was always upset that THEY got a dress allowances, but SHE didn't!.

More pointless, hmm how about an HTML controlled "Billy Bass"
I like it.... Then it would be platform independant. The Monica/Clinton one is the best IMHO.

williB said:
i may have to buy another one ,because for the past four years i paid $0.0
modem rental fee, because i bought it
it served its purpose i think :)

yes a few , i go to garage sales & look around town its amazing what people through out.
Try FreeCycling...it's hard to get something before it's gone...but it'll be free if you do get it...usually you have to go pick it up tho.

Most major areas have a FreeCycle thingy, just Google around a bit. Some counties might have one too.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back