Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Firefox and electro tech - spell checking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philba

I'm using Firefox 2.0 and really like it. The new tabbed interface is great and I really like the in-line spelling check.

However, the in-line spelling check seems to default disabled in the edit controls for posting to electro tech. I can turn it on (right click/spell check this field) and it does work.

Any idea why it's off by default? It's on by default in every other site I've found. It's a great feature and will help to have more understandable postings.

By the way, it's worth the upgrade to FF 2.0 - the tabbed interface makes managing multiple pages a snap.

philba said:
By the way, it's worth the upgrade to FF 2.0 - the tabbed interface makes managing multiple pages a snap.

but firefox has always had a tabbed interface... (or at least for as long as I've been using it, which is a long time...) or were you specifically referring to upgrading from IE, rather than an older version of firefox?

I do agree that firefox 2.0 is a good upgrade though.

No, I upgraded from FF 1.x.

Yes, the tab interface isn't new but they've improved it. the tabs each have a close button on them (rather than up under the frame close button). This is a much more logical place for it. If you click on an external link (or what ever it's called) in a page, it creates a new tab rather than a new window. I love that feature since I was usually right clicking and selecting open in new tab anyway. This basically avoids page-glut-syndrome. Before, I'd get a gazillion pages and it got confusing pretty fast. Now, your session where you chase links is contained in a single frame. You can turn it off if you want.

And, to get back to my point of posting, the in-line spell checking is really nice. No more looking up a word or misspelling it. This feature should have been done in IE and FF years ago. I'd prefer not to have to turn it on for each post I do here. All the other sites default to it being on.

Last edited:
The Firefox 2 spell check works ok for me.
I used to use the spell checker provided with Google tool bar - but have not needed it since upgrading Firefox.
You need to have it ticked in the advanced options rather than just enabling it by right clicking.

I assume you mean tools/options/advanced. It is checked and always has been. Like i said it works with every other site, just not this one.

Use the google tool bar. I love it! It fixez mie spellng vrey wlel :) Seriously. It works wonders....

Yes the Google toolbar is better than any spell checker but it doesn't help if you've accidentally misspelt a word and you didn't realise it.

Hey! I just upgraded from IE 6 to Firefox 2. IE 7 sucks, Firefox 2 is better.

Now to your problem...Aha! this might help!

Go to Tool-------->Options------------>Advanced----->General
and tick the box "check my spelling as I type" and save your settings.

Hope that helped! :D

METHAMPHOSiST said:
Now to your problem...Aha! this might help!

Go to Tool-------->Options------------>Advanced----->General
and tick the box "check my spelling as I type" and save your settings.

Hope that helped! :D

Nope. it doesn't

Me some time after the big bang said:
I assume you mean tools/options/advanced. It is checked and always has been. Like i said it works with every other site, just not this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back