Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fire wire & USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

My understanding is on USB
has 4 pins.

2 for power and 2 pins for data (serial)
correct me if I am wrong.

What is fire wire, what is its technical details.
Can any one explain to me.
Many thanks

instruite said:
The below links might provide you some basic information
**broken link removed**
http://www.pcmech.com/show/motherboards/182/2/

**broken link removed**
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

one of those articles talks about how Firewire is daisy chained togethor whereas USB has to go through a hub... the hub is alot better.

In my experience with firewire, once you start daisychaining you get alot of signal loss and corruption... we had an external drive daisy chained through a burner, and got massive corruption when writing files. worked perfectly directly connected to the computer though (a sony laptop, around 2002 firewire came standard on those...might still). We thought it might have just been a problem with the burner, but when we daisy chained the burner through the drive we started getting alot of coasters when burning stuff. then we daisy chained the drive through a camera or something... same corruption. we even tried a different laptop...

I'm not trying to put firewire down with this post... just warning everyone, dont daisy chain if dataloss is something that could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back