Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fingerprint circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
flemmard said:
Hi all,
I need a very simple finger print verfication circuit.how do i do that?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I have never done this, but this is what I'd try for a super-simple setup:

• I'd use a scanner or something similar to acquire the fingerprint image.
  • I'd google for "free fingerprint software" and look for something I could use to load the acquired image and compare it against a database of known fingerprints. You'll need to load the image on a PC with the software.
  • Display the result of the verification check.

Extra points:

• Make the image acquisition and verification procedure seamless.
  • Make the result display interesting: maybe take an output from the software to a small circuit via the LPT or COM port, which might retract a solenoid on a good match and sound an alarm on a bad one.
  • Make the scanner able to tell whether the image it's reading is really of a living human finger, and not a photocopied image.

Overall, I agree with Nigel: this is not a beginner project unless you seriously hack things together. My description of a possible system above is for a very simple, hacked-together idea which is completely untested :).

Torben

well..

well ..

i suppose that this is a bit complicated process..

because we also have to include " image processing" ..

but then also .. i wish flemmard good luck..

because now a days i am seeing him developing new projects..

I feel rather than projects these are products he is designing for clients..:p

i feel any subcontinent person will think about that..:eek:

may be sure..

Regards,

Simran..:)

Torben said:
I have never done this, but this is what I'd try for a super-simple setup:

• I'd use a scanner or something similar to acquire the fingerprint image.
  • I'd google for "free fingerprint software" and look for something I could use to load the acquired image and compare it against a database of known fingerprints. You'll need to load the image on a PC with the software.
  • Display the result of the verification check.

Extra points:

• Make the image acquisition and verification procedure seamless.
  • Make the result display interesting: maybe take an output from the software to a small circuit via the LPT or COM port, which might retract a solenoid on a good match and sound an alarm on a bad one.
  • Make the scanner able to tell whether the image it's reading is really of a living human finger, and not a photocopied image.

Overall, I agree with Nigel: this is not a beginner project unless you seriously hack things together. My description of a possible system above is for a very simple, hacked-together idea which is completely untested :).

Torben

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.May i know that "free fingerprint software"?
And how do i get TRUE or FALSE from that software ? you mean hacking into software?
Thanks

flemmard said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.May i know that "free fingerprint software"?

Anybody can find the software by searching on google or similar. For instance, search for "open source fingerprint software" or "free fingerprint biometric software". There are many options available, and the choice of which you use will depend on your needs. For a "very simple" one, like you said, you could use a demo version of a commercial biometric product, say if you just need something to prove a concept. For more complete projects, you might look at something like http://sourceforge.net/projects/fvs/, which is open source.

Since you've just said you need a "very simple fingerprint identification circuit" but not provided any details, that's probably about as much as I can help. You'll have to do some searching and some reading, and decide what options best suit your needs.

Is this for a school project?

flemmard said:
And how do i get TRUE or FALSE from that software ? you mean hacking into software?
Thanks

How you get the result from the software depends upon the software. In the case of the open source stuff, you would A) hope it can provide an output via, say, a serial port, or B) if it doesn't, modify it so that it does.

I meant "hack" in the original sense, not the media's messed-up criminal sense. Definition 1 from the Jargon File (http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html) covers it best:

hack
[very common]
1. n. Originally, a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.

Torben

Torben said:
Anybody can find the software by searching on google or similar. For instance, search for "open source fingerprint software" or "free fingerprint biometric software". There are many options available, and the choice of which you use will depend on your needs. For a "very simple" one, like you said, you could use a demo version of a commercial biometric product, say if you just need something to prove a concept. For more complete projects, you might look at something like http://sourceforge.net/projects/fvs/, which is open source.

Since you've just said you need a "very simple fingerprint identification circuit" but not provided any details, that's probably about as much as I can help. You'll have to do some searching and some reading, and decide what options best suit your needs.

Is this for a school project?

How you get the result from the software depends upon the software. In the case of the open source stuff, you would A) hope it can provide an output via, say, a serial port, or B) if it doesn't, modify it so that it does.

I meant "hack" in the original sense, not the media's messed-up criminal sense. Definition 1 from the Jargon File (http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hack.html) covers it best:

hack
[very common]
1. n. Originally, a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well.

Torben

Hi Torben,
Thank you very much ! :)

can anyone suggest that which scanner should i use which only scans the finger and does not have memory of its own.. I want to save the image and process it on computer.

Something you should keep in mind with fingerprint scanners--they don't simply photograph the finger and store the image. Almost all of them pick out certain key points on the print and use those for verification. For instance, Atmel makes a great little swipe-type scanner that reduces each file to about 350 bytes. It comes with a little board that can store a certain number of files or, if you wish, it can send the files to a computer.

Last edited:
They've came out with vein recognition, pretty neat huh?! They use IR to detect all the veins in your hands or body and compare it to a stored image.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back