Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding Voltage, Simple Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikali

Need to find the voltage of (Vab). When I apply the KVL for the two loops that incorporate (Vab) I get stuck, any help would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• Circuit problem 1.png
    Circuit problem 1.png
    5 KB · Views: 276
I am not too sure about Mrs Kirchoffs little boy:), but consider the following:

What is the voltage across the two series connected resistors?
What is the voltage across one of the resistors?

You now should have enough information to calculate the voltage between points a and b.

JimB

Ahh, I think I got it. I redrew it and it looks like the two Voltage sources are in series, so we can add them up, and it also looks like there in a Voltage Divider set-up. I got 9v for (Vab).Am I correct....I hope :p

Correct!

The two voltage sources are in series, but with opposite polarity, so the voltage across the resistors is 12 - 6 = 6 volts.
The two resistors are of equal resistance, so the voltage across each resistor is 6v/2 = 3volts.

From points a to b, the voltage is 6+3 = 9v or 12-3 = 9v.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back