Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FInding VCOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalom

Hi, i am looking for a VCO that has a working frequency of 20MHz to 60MHz. I am building a PLL circuit. PLease advise as i have difficulty in finding VCOs in this range. I do not mind a frequency range that is larger than i stated as long as the working range is within 20 to 60MHz.

Thnaks in advance

Shalom said:
Hi, i am looking for a VCO that has a working frequency of 20MHz to 60MHz. I am building a PLL circuit. PLease advise as i have difficulty in finding VCOs in this range. I do not mind a frequency range that is larger than i stated as long as the working range is within 20 to 60MHz.

A VCO is usually operated by a varicap diode across a tuned circuit, however your range is exceptionally wide to cover in a single range.

As possibilities I would suggest either splitting it into more than one range, or moving the frequency far higher and down-converting to the range you want.

Shalom said:

Thnaks in advance
The datasheet for LTC6905 says it can be used as a VCO (scroll all the way to the end of the datasheet).

Hi tks nigel and ron for the reply. I will discuss it with my professor and see which can fullfill our requirements. Thanks alot

If you want to buy a VCO, have a look at www.minicircuits.com they make VCO modules (amongst other things).

Your tuning range of 20 to 60 Mhz could be a bit of a problem. A 3 to 1 frequency ratio requires a capacitance ratio of 9 to 1. This could be stretching things a bit in terms of what is achievable in practice with varicap diodes.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back