Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding losses in the output stage of a power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get confused when I have to find the losses in the output stage.
I need to know how to identify losses correctly because i will use this info later in heat sink design.

Vcc = peak output voltage + minimum voltage losses in the circuit

Power dissipated=42% (Vcc^2/ 2xRL) for class B

I identified the losses in 1 diagram....is it correct?

The Vbe of a power transistor is higher than a simple transistor because as the current gain decreases then Vbe increases.

Minimum voltage losses= Vbe of power bjt Q12 + Vbe of simple bjt Q10 + Vce of Q11
=0.8 + 0.7 + 0.5
=2V

could someone identify losses ON the other diagrams in the output stage(only dealing with bjt losses)

Attachments

• ampcct2..gif
    ampcct2..gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 160
  • ampcct3..gif
    ampcct3..gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 175
  • losses..jpg
    losses..jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Each output transistor is a variable resistor in series between the supply voltage (or 0V) and the speaker.
So of course the output transistors get hot since they have a Vce across them and the speaker's current in them.
Vbe is almost nothing compared to the high Vce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back