Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding an inexpensive 8" - 10" monochrome graphic display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm thinking of starting a project that will use an LCD (or similar) screen to display the date and time. The user will be an elderly friend who's eyesight is declining, so I've decided on a display size between 8" and 10". Any smaller and the letters will be too small for him to read. Any bigger and it will be too big for the space it needs to fit in.

I'm hoping to find something similar to Newhaven's graphic display modules that are prolific on Digikey and other distributors. There's typically a parallel or serial interface. You read pixel information into a memory buffer and then send a command to display all of the pixels. Easily done with an inexpensive general-purpose microcontroller. Even though I'm just displaying text, I'm not looking at character displays. I want to be able to create my own font and have different sized letters and numbers for different parts of the time and date.

All of the displays I'm finding that are larger than a couple of inches are much more sophisticated color displays. They have very fast clocking requirements that would stretch the limits of basic microcontrollers. Since the screen will only update once a minute, I don't need to refresh the screen as quickly as those displays are requiring. It would just drive up the cost of the components I'd have to add to my circuit.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a manufacturer that makes simple graphic display modules between 8" and 10" that doesn't have a strict refresh rate requirement? It'll be just text, so monochrome is fine. Color isn't needed.

Thanks!

I had similar problem with my Dad, so I got him a large digit LCD clock , made by Acctim... You can get one that speaks ... Your 8/10 " display is going to be a bit expensive

I should have mentioned in my first post. I got the idea for the clock display from a product I found online. I know I can just buy one, but I prefer to enjoy the experience of designing and building it myself.

Understand .... :sorry: How big do the digits need to be there are some large seven segment LCD's I did a clock using an AY0438 driver IC and a 12.5 mm x4 digit display.. ( 12:00 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back