Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Field Windings and Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mClueless

Hi,

I built a DC welding machine that uses a Leece Neville 270 Amp alternator to manufacture the current. I have done a lot research for this project and one of the articles that I read mentioned limiting the field current to 3 Amps in order to make the brushes last longer.

I can see where fusing the circuit to limit the Amps in case of a malfunction, but does not the field windings dictate the Amps?.

Yep,
I'mClueless

Automotive alternators act like a current amplifier (when turning at a constant rpm) where the output current is proportional to the field current. At a constant applied voltage, the field resistance determines the field current (If = Ef/Rf). If you reduce the field current by putting additional resistance in series with the field, or by reducing the applied voltage, the output current will be reduced proportionally. If you need the full 270A, then you will have to apply the rated field current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back