Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fiber Optics Project Ideas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

beetle_slayer

I am interested in electronics mainly because I like to fiddle with stuff and make things for fun. The problem is, I am not that good at it and I never have any good project ideas. I have plenty of resource and parts, just nothing to make.
I am currently looking for ideas dealing with fiber optics. I have unlimited access to fiber optic line and tools to work with it.
What would you do with it?

I seem to find myself struggling with ideas too. I find that if I try to combine my interest in electronics with another interest, like cars. I also like to do stuff that I haven't seen done before, or something that would require some learning to accomplish it. check out the link in my sig for all the projects ive done.
I would try to think of using the fiber opics for some sort of lighting application. It would be kinda cool to actually use it for some sort of data transfer or communication, but that doesnt sound like any fun :?

I've never done anything with fiber optics, I would have loved to have used fiber optic line in my roof instead of those led's. it would have given me a very nice clean look. I didnt use it though due to amount of cable that I would need, I think i calculated it to be at least 40 ft. And I didnt think it would give me the brightness that I wanted. (the led's I have in there now aren't bright enough, so I'm redoing them).

what exactly do you mean that you have unlimited access to it? do you get it for a good price? would you be interested in selling me some for a good price? you can email me at jrz126@psu.edu if you don't want to post any details on the board.

I've had some experience with fiber before....
How about making a converter for ethernet from megabit to gigabit and/or vice versa?
You can find these converters in all industrial settings where fiber optics are communications backbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back