Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ferrite core transformer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

andynerd

I have a ferrite core transformer and it was out of an old radio i was wondering could i use it with other parts to make a simple plug into the wall power supply? something very basic. Also if there are any other interesting ideas to use it for i would like to know.:D

I don't think so since it's probably designed for a much higher frequency than the 50/60Hz from a wall. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Ferrite core transformer

talking about a power supply you might use it for a switching power supply to be supplied by a battery.

I wouldn't use a switching frequency higher than 20KHz since the part was obviously used as an AF-transformer. If the low impedance side has a center tap you can use a timer circuit and switch ground to the outer taps alternating and tie the center tab to +UB. Use the original primary winding for output.

Rectify the output voltage which will be square wave AC.

Connect a load to the new DC and see what happens. If the transformer starts smoking the load is too heavy. :D

Boncuk

Transformers are used at powerline frequencies as well as audio and radio frequencies. Since the transformer came out of an old radio it could be any of them. The power and audio transformers I am used to seeing in old (a relative term) radio are laminated rather than ferrite.

stevez said:
Transformers are used at powerline frequencies as well as audio and radio frequencies. Since the transformer came out of an old radio it could be any of them. The power and audio transformers I am used to seeing in old (a relative term) radio are laminated rather than ferrite.

Likewise, I wouldn't expect to find a ferrite cored power transformer in a radio, more likely to be an RF transformer if anything?.

That sounds most likely but that still doesn't give use enough information, it could be 455kHz or 10.7MHz for all we know. The origional poster really hasn't given us enough information to go on.

If the poster correctly identified the core material as ferrite I would agree that it's likely an RF transformer. It's also possible that the OP is using ferrite rather than a broader term - ferrous - for what might be laminated iron. A picture would be helpful.

it was hooked up directly to the power cord probably was used to convert the AC voltage to a lower usable DC voltage.

a picture or at least a more specific describtion would certainly help as already posted, e.g. dimensions and the number of taps in and out.

Is it a toroidal transformer?

here you go a picture

Attachments

• HPIM0328.JPG
    HPIM0328.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
ahh whatever nvm this was a dumb question i was thinking it was based off the pictures on the internet really i have no clue what kinda of transformers there are and how to figure out what kind they are.

Transformer

The picture proofs that the device is an everyday's iron core mains transformer. Leave it like it is, connect the black two wires to mains and measure the output voltages. There should be two voltage outputs, one with a center tap.

To find out which wire belongs to which winding measure the resistance between wires. The winding with the center tap should have the double resistance from outer to outer tap.

You can also find out which wire belongs to one winding by looking sharp where they come from.

Well I think that every transformer is usefull if you can finde use for it (HOW DEEP) I like philosophy ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back