Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
I have bought a water tank for water storage due to irregular supply.
Sometimes i have to stay back and turn the tap off when it is full at midnight .I want try and install a 'sensor' inside the water to turn the tap off or by closing solenoid valve when the water reaches the desired threshold.
Can anyone help me out with project since this is one is very dear to my heart.

Last edited:
Should be exceedingly easy. Just a "wet" sensor connected to a controller and thence to a solenoid valve.

Of course, as always, the devil is in the details.

1. What power source? AC line? battery?
2. What type of solenoid valve?
3. You probably want the valve to energize (shutting the valve), then have it de-energized in the closed position.
4. You obviously need some way to reset the system to open the valve. How: manually? electrically?

Electronically, this should be very easy to implement, once the blanks above are filled in.

Yes you are right.
1.The power can either be 12 VDC or 240 VAC ;all i want is ease of use.
2.The solenoid is a 2 way valve for liquids.
3.You have virtually answered the third question.
4.I want the the reset to be electrically/electronically(automatically)when the water reaches a minimum level.

I disagree about needing three sensors.

According to what we've been told, all that's needed is to shut a valve (presumably the one that's filling the tank) when it's full. Why would you need three sensors to do this? All we need is a sensor to tell us when the tank is full enough; when that sensor is activated, shut off the valve.

You seem to have violated the essence of your handle here, KISS.

Probably the same as a car. Guessing:
2 for rotor access
2 for Batt and ground
1 for fault indicator
1 for +12 accessory power

Usually the rotor is pulsed. Harder part is the fault light. A PWM module can be purchsed as a kit for approx 25 USD. Now the other stuff would be harder but probably straightforward.

SORRY GUYS - THIS IN IN THE WRONG FORIM.

Last edited:
KISS what you are talking sounds/looks complicated.Carbonitz what is on your mind?

Last edited:
One float switch (normally-closed), one solenoid valve (normally-closed), and one power supply.

Or, a toilet tank valve...no electricity needed.

Ken

Last edited:
One float switch (normally-closed), one solenoid valve (normally-closed), and one power supply.

Or, a toilet tank valve...no electricity needed.

I especially like that latter idea.

But maybe you're going a little too simple here. I'd like to see some way that the solenoid doesn't stay energized once the float switch closes, but just closes the valve, then shuts itself off. Shouldn't be too terribly complicated.

I suppose just putting a power switch on the whole deal would let the user "reset" it, in case of repairs, etc.

...I'd like to see some way that the solenoid doesn't stay energized once the float switch closes, but just closes the valve, then shuts itself off...
???? The float switch is closed when the water is low. The closed switch powers and opens the solenoid valve allowing water to flow. When the float raises it opens the switch, removing power from the solenoid and closes it.

A manual on/off switch would be good.

Ken

There is always an on an off level so the pump doesn't short cycle.

Safety switches are only necessary if there could be major clean up problems if a switch failed.

So, simple. Once the electronics started, I forgot about the simple.

If a pump is involved a rocker lever switch to operate off the float arm. Just like Ron said.

When it's full the rocker will turn of the switch + plus the motor "and" maybe even the "float valve" is "or" should be satisfied. (Direct Shut off)

You would need to monitor "it" every so often to insure it's operation.

Very kis-s. (Keep it Simple) - s and very simple.

kv

Edit: Good one Ron.

Edit: Want to get more complicated. Use a pressure switch with a pressure tube inserted into the container and a solenoid. Just like a washing machine or similar depending on the voltage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back