Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Features you'd like in a logic Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake9398

I'm designing a Logic Probe Kit, and Some of the features I think would be handy are:
Detect High, Low, Floating Inputs
Signal Pulse Length
Voltage readout (5V and Under)
Internal battery, charged via USB Mini Cable
5V and Direct Battery Output Voltage (3.7V)
Automatic Shutoff

Also it'll have a internal LiPo battery, LCD and a 18F2525 powering the whole project. Any thoughts or considerations?

I do logic at 5.0, 3.3, 2.5, 1.8, and 0.9.
Floating is good!!!
You need to add an edge detector (one shot).
________________-____________________where 1 is for 1uS a simple LED will miss that.
I want a way to inject a 3hz square wave into the board under test. (by pushing a button) or force H or force L

Surely you could include DMM and DSO functions as well since you're processor-dirven rather than discrete. Maybe include the ability to decode a serial stream into ASCII and display it.

A high tone pitch beep if the level is high. A low tone pitch beep for a low tone. Red LED for High, green LED for low.
Self turn off in a few seconds, Self turn on when any over zero signal is sensed. No power switch. Touching the probe to a live circuit turns it on instead.
Size of a oscifox, one probe tip at each end. One is for logic states, the other for voltage reading.
Li powered; tiny 4.5V solar cell in its back side to recharge it.
Probe tip made of a sewing needle steel, no thick, no brass tip, about 25mm long, jacketed in teflon and protuding only 1 mm out of the jacket.
Replaceable grounding or reference lead and clip that will not come loose during use, made of very flexible cable.
Hope helps --- or likes---
I have the oscifox; do an 'images search'

Surely you could include DMM and DSO functions as well since you're processor-dirven rather than discrete. Maybe include the ability to decode a serial stream into ASCII and display it.

If you have a DSO, why bother with a logic probe? For me, a logic probe was a good way to check out something if a scope was not available. IMO, a logic probe should be small in size yet functional.

Last edited:
Colin, your web page has a spelling error that for some reason I find hilarious;

"The brightness of the display is suburb"
:D

just to add, Colin has a minor counting error. :)

The number of functions is 20.

Boncuk

Fixed the spelling mistake. Put the article into spell check and found lots more improvements and font changes.
Unfortunately I cannot count past 15 and cannot work out if it has 19 or 20 features. How do you work it out?

Contacted Mondo about the idea of presenting the probe and got replies. But when he saw the completed article - no more communication!
I asked him to add my site to his list and delete all the sites he has listed as supplying kits, as none of the links are valid. No reply and no changes.
This is the biggest problem with highly-strung geniuses.
May be good with electronics but absolutely hopeless with “peoples-skills.”

Last edited:
If you have a DSO, why bother with a logic probe? For me, a logic probe was a good way to check out something if a scope was not available. IMO, a logic probe should be small in size yet functional.

Fret not. Mr. Tektronix here and my tongue was buried deeply into my cheek. I rarely use a logic probe since a scope will tell me much more about a signal than any probe:

Is that logical LOW really at 0.5v? That sucks.
What's the voltage on my ground pin?
What's the pulse width?
Is Vcc glitchy?
What's the frequency?
Is that a 50% duty cycle?
What's the time relationship between these two (three, four) pulses?

And I use an analog scope. I don't much like digital scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back