Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fearless actor or fearless idiot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real or not (I tend to lean towards realnot), That guy is fuuuuunny... :woot:!!

But, does seem to have a serious learning disability.

Reminds me of someone banned here several months ago who did a lot with LED signs.
John

I think we were just having this discussion, I would hire that guy in the video for a job before I'd hire a certain other person....

Anyway, it's all acting but he does a great job of making it look realistic!

Matt

Anyway, it's all acting but he does a great job of making it look realistic!

Matt
because it's real! He's really shorting out automotive batteries and live mains, best I can tell. Whether he's acting or actually flubbing, he's still being incredibly stupid. I don't know what's worse, if he's acting and knows what he's doing is stupid, or if he's a haphazard moron.

His YouTube channel is ElectroBOOM. Some of the accidents are staged or completely fake. I noticed in one video that he was using a soldering iron and then proceeded to grab the iron right after using it. I'll see if I can find that specific video.

His YouTube channel is ElectroBOOM. Some of the accidents are staged or completely fake. I noticed in one video that he was using a soldering iron and then proceeded to grab the iron right after using it. I'll see if I can find that specific video.
Dude is definitely an idiot.
Fake accidents, genuine stupidity. Genuinely entertaining.
I picked just one video from his page and watched him apply an angle grinder to his face, and catch his face on fire.

I'll have to watch more of this, later.

What I see is someone who is well practiced at slight of hand, special effects and above all has a good working knowledge of what is dangerous and what just looks dangerous a putting on a good show of what a stupid person playing with things they don't understand looks like.

I see no dummy here. Just a some good acting, hands on knowledge and some special effects being used together to look dumb on purpose. :cool:

What I see is someone who is well practiced at slight of hand, special effects and above all has a good working knowledge of what is dangerous and what just looks dangerous a putting on a good show of what a stupid person playing with things they don't understand looks like.

I see no dummy here. Just a some good acting, hands on knowledge and some special effects being used together to look dumb on purpose. :cool:
Did you watch the video I embedded, where he set his face and chest on fire with lighter fluid?
Are you saying that's special effects and I'm too stupid to detect it?
No hard feelings if that's what you're saying, and if you're right, I'll gladly wear an "I'M STUPID" pin on my chest for a week.

Or, maybe you're saying that setting your face on fire isn't actually dangerous, but just looks dangerous?

The effects are easily done with isopropyl alcohol which I suspect is what he used in most of his flaming body parts and other items stunts.

Isopropyl alcohol makes a big flame but has very little heat behind it which if you noticed despite the flames on his face and mustache no hair actually burned off.

Try it on your own hand some time. Put a small quarter sized pool in your palm and light it. It will take several seconds before you can even feel any heat and if you are brave enough you can let it burn out in your hand without suffering any severe burns either. :cool:

I used to do a flaming hand trick in high school science lab by putting a light rubbing of isopropyl alcohol on my hand with a cotton ball then have a friend touch it off with a lighter.

My hand would burst into a big ball of flame for about 5 seconds then go out without so much as a mark on me. :D

It's my knowledge of things like that that make me suspect the guy has far more idea and control of what he is doing than most of the people who watch his videos. ;)

Ethanol of greater than 100 proof is also acceptable. The ancient definition of 100 proof was a sufficient concentration of ethanol so that gun powder saturated with it would still fire after being lit. Just be careful. There is a huge difference between a flame from a volatile alcohol and one from an oil. Although, this may be something stupid LG might try, I offer it as a warning. I was much younger than he is at present and was carrying a tray of burning paraffin. I would throw water on it to make an "atomic cloud" (early 1950's).* I spilled it on my hands. It definitely was not an alcohol fire. Fortunately, I didn't have any scaring.

John

* The early 1950's was a time when testing hydrogen bombs was good. My mom would get me up early so we could watch the glow over the San Bernadino mountains.

You are wiser than you may realize, LG. Unfortunately, for me it's wisdom that has a habit of disappearing rather easily :eek:.
My guess would be, wisdom disappears at a rate proportional to lengh of legs appearing ;).

Simples I just carry a card saying 'Remember what they do to your shed'

Hey LG, when I was your age I had a shed...
and it had curtains!
and a carpet!
As far as I was concerned, it was cool.

JimB

Hey LG, when I was your age I had a shed...
and it had curtains!
and a carpet!
As far as I was concerned, it was cool.

JimB
what colour were the curtains? And why carpet?? what about static? ahhhh Ok I just realized wasnt invented back then :eek::p

what colour were the curtains? And why carpet?? what about static? ahhhh Ok I just realized wasnt invented back then :eek::p
The curtains were red/white.
The carpet was red, it was a basic floor covering, not your best Axminster.
Static? Valves are not worried by static!

JimB

I'm still trying to figure out if this shed/carpet/drapes thing is nothing but a big euphemism....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back