Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite Chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamey

I was thinking the other day while building a project that there are a lot of very useful IC's out there, and several I use often.

So I was wondering what everyone's favorite "chip" is to use? Let's leave out the obviously popular 555 timer and PICs.

I'll start: The 4017 Decade Counter.

The divide-by N feature is nice, but what I seem to use it for a lot is sequencing events. One example was to stagger the powering up of amplifiers & processors for a theatre to prevent a large current draw and to ensure things were kept "muted" until everything was on.

I've also used it in some larger digital circuits to perform certain tasks "in order". For example, making sure one portion of my circuit is reset before another and then enabling a clock or output after everything has been reset.

So what are your favorites?

You are in a good position designing circuits with your favavorite chips.

The application of chips depends on the project I'm normally working at. So the chips used for that particular project are my favorite chips for the time being.

Boncuk

hi,
My favourite chip is the one that gets the job done for the least cost and minimum hassle.

My second favourite 'chip' is deep fried, seasoned with a few herbs.:rolleyes:

As you have excluded pic chips then it would have to be the 78(L)05 as this is the one chip I need to power my favourite pic chip.:rolleyes::D

Mike.

The LM2936Z-5 is my favourite regulator IC for powering 5V circuits because of its low dropout voltage and quiescent current.

The LM2936Z-5 is my favourite regulator IC for powering 5V circuits because of its low dropout voltage and quiescent current.

Doesn't that number just roll of the tongue and stick in the memory. I guess LM5-LDO had been taken.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of the new emergency number in the IT Crowd. How did that go again?

Mike.

I can never remember the part number either.

I had to flick through the datasheets on my hard disk.

For regulators I like the little LM2936Z-5 also. You can use it in a car.

In the general sense i agree with the chip that gets the job done with the least work and the best result.

It is a little unfair to exclude uC. A good engineer can solve a lot of problems with these Gems.

3v0

^ We could easily have a gazillion post discussion if we asked everyone which uC they liked best and why. ;)

I'm thinking along the lines of popular common discreets, like the 555 which has been around forever but still widely used.

^ We could easily have a gazillion post discussion if we asked everyone which uC they liked best and why. ;)
And that would be bad because why? There are enough misconceptions in every camp that reasonable discussion would be interesting. It does not have to be a pissing contest.

People without experiance in several camps would have little to offer. Other then... ask questions:)

I would like to see more informed discussion.

3v0

When I was in school, I used to consider 741 opamp as the magical chip. I thought I would make several projects using it. almost always there turns out to be a better suited chip for any project even if based on the same basics as that of 741.

Doesn't that number just roll of the tongue and stick in the memory. I guess LM5-LDO had been taken.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of the new emergency number in the IT Crowd. How did that go again?

Mike.

0118999881999119725... 3 <- That was purely from knowing the jingle and having watched that episode a few hours ago :eek:

I was thinking the other day while building a project that there are a lot of very useful IC's out there, and several I use often.

So I was wondering what everyone's favorite "chip" is to use? Let's leave out the obviously popular 555 timer and PICs.

I would start with any chip that isn't a 555. I have never got on with it. The only circuit that I have worked on that used a 555 series (a 556 actually) was so badly designed that it would only work with one brand of 556, as it left the reset line high when turning the chip power off. Even before I came across that circuit, I didn't like the 555.

I much prefer a CD4093 for RC timing applications. It has a wide supply range, is about the same price as a 555, and can do astable or one-shot with just a resistor and a capacitor. Odd symmetries can be done with a diode, and combinations are easy because it is a logic gate. Even better, you get 4 in one IC.

As for neat circuits, I like the https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/12/74LVC1G80_8.pdf 74LVC1G80. Probably not much use for hobbyists as the largest package it is available in is less than 3mm square including pins, and the smallest is 1mm square. With no external components and by linking the NQ output to the D input, it divides the clock frequency by 2.

Another useful component is the self resetting fuse. For low voltage work they are great, and can make intermittent faults irrelevant or much easier to find.

favorite chip

Over the years I've used the CD4584 (aka. 74C14) Hex CMOS schmitt trigger inverter in lots of circuits. Everything from clock generators,pulse strechers,
pulse shorteners,one shots and timers,flip-flops,frequency doubler,switch debouncer and even an inverter. Im sure I've used more of this chip than any other.

NAND gates are pretty useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back