Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Faulty PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverickmax

Hi

I recently built my own PCB board and I suspected it was faulty due to high current consumption when powering it with 5V. Now I want to test my faulty blank PCB board with a multimeter and a power supply unit in order to iron any short-circuited on the PCB board. Unfortunately I cannot remember how to to do but I vaguely recalled that I have done it the past as I applied a low current to the PCB and I tested it with my multimeter to measure the low voltage. If the voltage drops down to virtually zero in the region, I assumed the short-ciruited potentially was somewhere in that region. Is that correc method?

Regards

MM

Why not use a multi meter on continuity mode?

True but I have multi-layer PCB (4 layers - 24V, 15V and 5V). Both 24V and 15V are ok but 5V is giving me a problem as the current is rather high about 1.5A. Normally I expect it to be at least 400mA. So I thought it would be best to apply a very low current, say about 200mA and measure the voltage in the 5V circuit. I assumed the voltage drop to virtually zero which indicates a short-circuit. Is that correct?

MM

Depends on the trace length, and degree of conduction between the shorted traces especially with fine traces. A better way to check for shorts I would think is to apply your current to the trace you're testing and then use a meter to test the voltage on other traces relative to ground, if there's no voltage getting to that trace then it should read 0 voltage relative to ground but it'll read a much higher positive voltage depending on the type of short. With that many layers tracing problems is near impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back