Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fast charge capacitor and Cap discharge time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splash1

Imagine such situation:

I have one capacitor: 400 Volts 3.3 uF

I can charge that capacitor in 1 second.

Can I run a device using the energy from the cap?
I don't want to run the device directly from a battery.
I know a way to load a capacitor in less than 1 second. My idea is to run a device using only the energy from the cap. Of course, I will need to re-charge again and again the capacitor if I want to achieve that.

But... It's possible to run a device using the energy stored in a cap?

I have other question... How can I calculate the discharge time of the capacitor? Imagine I have the 400V 3.3uF cap and I want to run a 25 Watt device... How much time can I run the 25 watt device?
Sorry for my english.

Did you read and understand the link I posted?

How long do you want your load to run for? 1 second? What voltage will it stop running at?

The energy on a capacitor is ½CV², thus a 3.3µF cap charged to 400V has an energy of .264 joules. Since a joule equals a watt-second, if you could use the total energy (which is not possible in practice) to power your 25W load it would last for .264WS ÷ 25W = 10.6ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back