Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fan selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have a circuit with four power MOSFETs. Near them (or on the heat sink) is placed a temperature sensor, which detects when the temperature is above a certain level. Now for the tricky bit...

How do a select the right fan/heat sink for the application?

I know the effect of the MOSFETs
I want to calculate the fan flow which is needed to cool down the MOSFETs faster than they heat up, so they don't cook.

You just need the datasheet info for the heatsink, unless you made the heatsink by accident. You also need the datasheet info for the Mosfets.

Do I need total area, thermal resistance, material...?
Yes, and how much power will be dissipated by the MOSFETs (worst case), the max junction temp for the MOSFETs, any airflow restriction and what the working ambient temperature range will be. It can be pretty complicated and it is usually easier to determine this experimentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back