Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fan motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tresguey

I am trying to build a display that shows off a fan that is water proof for automotive use. I have tested it completely submerged with a 14vdc 100amp power supply. It was pulling about 35 amps, normally only pulls about 10. I ran it for about 20 minutes and then it fried. I know this was due to the extra load due to the fan pulling all that water(which it was not designed to do). I need help with choosing an inexpensive resistor or pot that I can use to run this display for one minute intervals. The fan in question is a SPAL VA11-AP7/C-57A.

hi,
For the demo wouldn't it be better just to spray the water onto the fan.?

I was thinking about that, but my boss wants the dramatic effect of it being submerged, and he signs the front of the check...lol.

I think I am going to just have half the fan submerged and that should help some. But would still like to help protect it a little.

I was thinking about that, but my boss wants the dramatic effect of it being submerged, and he signs the front of the check...lol.

I think I am going to just have half the fan submerged and that should help some. But would still like to help protect it a little.

A pot would be BIG and the resistance would affect the Torque so the fan may not turn, have you tried a 6V car battery for the water test.?

Wouldn't this be the perfect place to use PWM? Might need a big old honking IGBT or something, but you should be able to tame down that fan motor.

You could also submerge the motor vertically with only the fan out of the water.

Just some thoughts. ;)

1. Mount the motor so the fan blades are horizontal, above the water, with the motor totally submerged.
2. Flatten the fan blades so that they are only offering minimum drag in the water.
3. Make a container so the motor shaft pass through a water-tight bushing in the side, with the fan blade on the outside.

Ken

We want to have aquarium sand in the tank and have it kicked up for effect. So placing it at the top will not work.

Something like this might do it. Monitor the current and adjust it for the same current as in free air.

**broken link removed**

That will probably work. Just be careful not to leave the motor stalled for very long when it's starting or the current will be to high for it.

You can buy submersible pumps at any fishtank store. If you mount the pump away from the sand you can just point a clear tube at the sandy area so the water flow "kicks up" the sand as you wanted.

You can buy submersible pumps at any fishtank store. If you mount the pump away from the sand you can just point a clear tube at the sandy area so the water flow "kicks up" the sand as you wanted.

But that would be cheating ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back