Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake Laser Security light Ideas wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyB60

I have one of those cordless phone systems with about 6 or maybe 8 phones I don't even remember, but nobody ever puts them back in the charger and they are scattered all over the place. I came down the stairs in the middle of the night and there were flashing lights all around the downstairs from the phones due to unheard messages on the recorder. It reminded me of elaborate security systems I’ve seen in the movies and I want to do something similar in my vehicles to make it appear there is a very sophisticated alarm system inside to scare off car thieves.

So anyway I started to figure out some LEDs to hook up to the 12V car system that would flash all night long. My neighbor has an expensive security system in her car that has a blue flashing light that’s visible from all the way around the outside of the car. Then I started thinking about maybe some sort of laser lighting going around the inside parameter. It doesn't have to be functional just look like there is a laser beam going around.

I don’t know anything about lasers and I don’t want to spend a lot of money, but is there something inexpensive that I could use to do something like this?

I’ve had my truck broken into twice and I even have video from one occasion showing the culprits to be kids so I think I could easily fool them. And if it works pretty well, I may even build one for the inside of the house. :)

Last edited:
It shouldn't be very expensive to buy an alarm for your truck and install it yourself. I would just google "DIY Car Alarms".
I remember a couple of years ago I was talking to the guys at the Best Buy shop, and he said he could install an alarm for $300. That's not an expensive model, but it will do the job.

I have alarms in the vehicles already, although the GMC alarm isn’t very dependable and seems to go off when I don’t want it to like when I go to work at 4 in the morning. LOL.

Anyway the crooks don’t seem to be so bothered when the alarms go off because they are so fast. And if they saw something of value inside the alarm would not matter to them. I was looking for something that stood out as a deterrent before they tried opening the door. Something that just might send them to the next car instead of mine.

My neighbor’s car always had an alarm but they broke into it all the time anyway. I noticed in the video that this time they didn’t even try her door as they did with every other car on the block and I think it was because of that bright blue flashing LED that she has now.

After having some speakers stolen many years ago out of my back seat, I just don’t leave anything in the vehicles anymore, but it still pisses me off when they go inside. In the video I believed they used a Slim Jim to get in and the door has had problems with the power lock ever since.

So I found some laser pens on eBay and I believe I could take them apart to modify them so they don’t look like a pen and tie them all together so they all work together off the 12V car battery with a single toggle switch to turn them off and on.
mgP0hfGr9svJTjjSh6u9wtA.jpg

Laser pens are hazardous. If anyone looked directly into the beam they could be blinded and you could find yourself facing a lawsuit :eek:

Laser pens are hazardous. If anyone looked directly into the beam they could be blinded and you could find yourself facing a lawsuit :eek:
Well that is a consideration that I didn't think of. I wonder how those laser light shows work because I see videos of people dancing in the middle of them.

It’s just too bad we can't hurt these scumbags, then maybe we could use booby traps to get rid of them for good.

Last edited:
I wonder how those laser light shows work
The beam is made divergent by optics so that its energy is spread over a large area and hence is below the danger level.
It’s just too bad we can't hurt these scumbags
I agree. If I had my way anyone doing evil deeds would, by law, forfeit their human rights. The law as it stands seems weighted in favour of the scumbags rather than the victims of crime.

I agree. If I had my way anyone doing evil deeds would, by law, forfeit their human rights. The law as it stands seems weighted in favour of the scumbags rather than the victims of crime.
Thanks I'm so glad you feel the same way, I was afraid you might be offended.:)

Well after having some long discussions with my friends I decided that the Lasers might actually draw too much attention. It might also look phony to the more experienced criminals.

So I’m just going to install a single bright flashing LED for now and then upgrade the trucks car alarm as soon as I find a decent one that’s affordable for a 10 yr old pickup. The other cars already have pretty good alarms

Too much flashy stuff would attract idiots and they might want to hear the alarm going off.
A single flashing red light is what manufacturers put in their cars and this puts off thieves as they know what it is, doing this gives them the message you want.
In the uk flashing red is an alarm and a constant red is an immobiliser.

Too much flashy stuff would attract idiots and they might want to hear the alarm going off.
A single flashing red light is what manufacturers put in their cars and this puts off thieves as they know what it is, doing this gives them the message you want.
In the uk flashing red is an alarm and a constant red is an immobiliser.
Yes you are absolutely correct and it just took a little while for me to realize that.
Thanks for the clarification to the operation of the light. I have never took the time to actually look at how mine works except that they go off after I turn the key. :)

T'other thing is of course a laser isnt generally visible along its transit unless you have smoke or vapour in the way.

didn't you notice in the movies they always have an aerosol spray to make the alarm lasers visible???

And this is why laser light shows work... smoke if ya got 'em!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back