Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake e-tech accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a block site section.

The problem is we can't have our site blocked because it isn't pay or a fraud risk and you do have to register to view some content - attachments.

To this end I think the rules should be changed to allow guests to view attachments.

Guests can't view attachments? That does suck.

I remember that actually, maybe if guests could veiw attachments we woulden't get all these one posters making accounts. But then most of them seem to do it to ask people here to do their "URGENT!!!1!" homework assignments.

That's a way for attracting users to the website(register). If guests can view/download attachments, the number of registered users will damn decrease.(Registered users only can support the forum!!)

If guests can view/download attachments, the number of registered users will damn decrease.(Registered users only can support the forum!!)
Does that matter?

I think that people who register just for attachments will not post and be a leach as space is being wasted storing their accounts.

Registration is simple and easy, and not that personal. Guest who have a problem giving an E-mail address and their real name, most like won't be a productive member of the forum. The guests should be able to read and search the forum freely, it's intend to inform and help. Those who like what they see, won't have a problem registering, since we keep it clean of all illegal activities, no reason to expect bad things.

Maybe some of the Fake-Users are people who don't have their own internet access at home, perhaps its from school or the public library. Would still think there is some way to get an E-mail account, without paying for it, or already having one, but never needed to find out.

Anyway, this site is great, and should continue as it has. It will sell itself to new users, as it has in the past. The people who try to hide, and sneak past the registration should be kept out, as the bulk of them likely have bad things on their minds. These are the ones who don't seem to have much knowledge of model rockets or radio remote control, electronics, or much of anything, but need to know how to do it in a hurry... Keeping the site clean and spam free will attract more quality members, than just letting pretty much anyone through, and trying to clean up the mess later. I'm sure the moderators have other projects to work on.

I second Harvey's comments on this topic.

I think you shouldn't allow viewing attachments without registering. Some attachments are quite large in size and would consume bandwidth (not sure where you are on the limit though... may not matter). Like someone already said, registration is easy and you don't have to give up your first born to join.

This site has been great and the amount of experience of some of the members never ceases to amaze.

I think you shouldn't allow viewing attachments without registering. Some attachments are quite large in size and would consume bandwidth (not sure where you are on the limit though... may not matter). Like someone already said, registration is easy and you don't have to give up your first born to join.
A valid point but then you're back to the issue of fake accounts on bugmenot.com

So you have to ask yourself which is the worst of the two evils?

The webmaster has obviously decided that bugmenot.com is worse.

Anyway it isn't our problem as we don't have to worry about bandwidth issues.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back