Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fading Light Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiltdi

Hi,

I'm totally new to electronics so i hope someone can help me! I want to rig a neon light to the footwells of my car. That part is quite easy and i think i can do that but I want it to work when the door opens again quite easy. The difficult part is getting it to fade on and off not just turn on and off, i think this is possible using a resistor and a capacitor but I havent a clue how to do it! Also It would be good to have the neon on a hard switch as well as on the door so they could be switched on manually, so will it be possible to have one neon conected to two types of switches??

Many thanks in advance

Neil.

Sure, you can have 2 switches. Just rig your "hard" switch before the door switch in series. This will allow your "hard" switch to have the ultimate say in when power is applied. Thus, if the hard switch if off, the circuit wont receive power regardless if the door is opened or not. With the hard switch on, the circuit will receive power when the door is opened.

power-->>"hard" switch-->>door switch-->>to your circuit.

whoa whoa whoa!! :oops: Slow down mate! Series?? I really am not great would that be to make the circuit with the hard switch then add a door switch through the hard switch or around it?? :shock: :? :roll:
I dont even understand what I mean so I dont know how I expect you too???

Crude Diagram

Sorry if thats a bit crude but is that the general idea??

Attachments

• diagram_895.jpg
    diagram_895.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 319
Your neon will have say two wires going to it. One is power the other ground. You can get what you want with just the power line. Very basic wiring is Battery power to the door switch then to the Neon. Just cut into the power line anywhere. You now have two wire ends. Attach these two wire ends to the hard switch or mount your hard switch and just add some extra wire to these ends so they reach the switch. You can get fancy and include the ground wire but its not really neccessary on a car. You can get the same result using the ground wire. I prefer to install switches on the power line. That way if something goes wrong or there is a short the power line has a switch to turn it off. This will prevent the battery from draining as long as the switch is turned off.

Last edited:
flyfish,
neiltdi posted this over 5 years ago.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back