Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Facebook channels the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
OK not really channeling but it got your attention and I did find this odd. Apparently death is not a reason to terminate your facebook account.

As far as I can tell the dead are not talking back, but people are talking to the deceased loved ones via facebook. Heck who knows, maybe the afterlife and this realm are not well synced and having a msg hang around on the web may help it get through!

Hows it going Mom?

Here are samples of messages sent by others to the deceased.

" Fred, I miss you! Happy Birthday ...my gracious how you must be celebrating. Your life is remembered."

"Happy Birthday Grandma!! Miss you so Much!!"
If you are thinking I am going somewheres with this I am not.

Just figured you too might find it odd, interesting, or a half duplex channel to someone you used to know.

3v0

Ah, but at an actual funeral, the vast majority of 'floral tributes' are addressed to the deceased in the same way. Just as if the 'no longer with us person' is there to read and appreciate the sentiment.

Yes, it is on facebook. But may be not in the forum. We are chating and helping for each other from various years. We are not talking personal thing here anymore but talking with any person very long time creates like a personal respect and care. If any important member passed, nobody can say why the person is not in the forum in these days. If the person is facing death in hospital, nobody can say why the person is not replying now a days.

Last edited:
That is going to be the future. Facebook will make a funeral app. Just sit at home and create a funeral page, and everyone pays their respects.

I wonder what will be their next great idea lol

One of my ex girlfriends best mates was murdered a couple of years ago and her daughters still talk to her on her Facebook page. It's quite sweet really.

I've seen a lot of death over the last year - it's a bit of a hazard of getting old but still sad nonetheless.

My wife talks to my mom all the time. Unfortunately my mom died a little over four years ago and my wife never met her. :rolleyes:

And you guys wonder why I act up on line some days. :p

(BTW I like your Zombie engines site!) :cool:

My wife talks to my mom all the time.
Probably a southern European thing where the mother is seen as the head of the household in domestic matters.
JimB

I think it has more to do with my wife can't keep her mouth shut and her opinions to herself so she will use any excuse to justify her opinions and peck at me. :(

That or her meds are not still adjusted properly yet. I give them about 50/50. :p

I guess it's just a natural progression with regard to technology, enabling people to take advantage of new tools as they become available.
It's much simpler to type a few words, or even a whole page, than it is to prepare a card or missive and travel to somewhere few are likely to read what has been written.
The message still conveys the same meaning, but there's less effort required in the delivery and the potential audience is greater.
E-mail seemed a little odd in it's infancy, but the majority are sending them these days and the delivery is almost instant.
An old friend of mine took his own life a few years ago, following a period of depression and family issues.
He was a people person and one of the toughest, but fairest doormen you would ever want to meet.
His funeral service was packed full and there were probably three or four times as many people outside, as there were inside, listening to the service via hastily-rigged speakers.
The page, set up in his memory upon his passing, is still active and I 'talk' to him every now and then, along with countless others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back