Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ezVID serial TV output module

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

In my latest issue of Nuts and Volts, they made a pong game using a basic stamp 2 and this ezVID serial TV output module thingy.

I was wondering if anyone has used this before? I'm looking to make an audio oscilliscope that will take the audio signal from my car stereo and display it on an LCD screen that I have in there. Since it's just for display, I wont need it to be that accurate or be able to measure with it.

So does it seem like this module will do the job?

Oh yeah, they want 60 bucks for it, so if there is a better/cheaper module out there please let me know.

**broken link removed**

Thanks

jrz126 said:
In my latest issue of Nuts and Volts, they made a pong game using a basic stamp 2 and this ezVID serial TV output module thingy.

I was wondering if anyone has used this before? I'm looking to make an audio oscilliscope that will take the audio signal from my car stereo and display it on an LCD screen that I have in there. Since it's just for display, I wont need it to be that accurate or be able to measure with it.

So does it seem like this module will do the job?

Oh yeah, they want 60 bucks for it, so if there is a better/cheaper module out there please let me know.

Looks pretty nice, I designed a PIC video module a long time ago using an NEC OSD chip - unfortunately the chip was discontinued, so the board was never produced. A number of years later, similar boards started to appear using an ST chip, the STV5730.

My board, and presumably the ST board?, only did mono-chrome text.

Hey, that module looks pretty neat. It would be like working with my old Commodore VIC20. Is that the only product they produce? I clicked on products, and that module is all that appeared. A google search showed only the ezVid, and a few text overlay modules, but that's it.

I wonder how hard it would be to use an older AGP, or even PCI video card? Or even finding that older VIC20, or even C64 video chip. I'm sure they can't be THAT hard to work with.

Hopperito said:
Hey, that module looks pretty neat. It would be like working with my old Commodore VIC20. Is that the only product they produce? I clicked on products, and that module is all that appeared. A google search showed only the ezVid, and a few text overlay modules, but that's it.

I wonder how hard it would be to use an older AGP, or even PCI video card? Or even finding that older VIC20, or even C64 video chip. I'm sure they can't be THAT hard to work with.

A PC video card requires extensive software control, far beyond the capability of a micro-controller - for a start, look at the number of pin connections to the card!.. Vic20 and C64 chips also require large amounts of memory (for their day) to be moved about - easier to use the complete C64 as a display module, and feed RS232 control data to it!.

easier to use the complete C64 as a display module, and feed RS232 control data to it!.
That's an interesting idea, albeit a bit bulky. It's too bad there isn't any alternatives for the ezVID. Prohibitive cost of $60 (at least for me) means I'll have to wait for the price to drop.

I'm not sure my C64 would even power up after all these years.

Actually I am working on a serial video module. It is black and white and it going to sell for under $35. If you want to see it check out www.TerryHittConsulting.com

The module uses the ubicom SX28 processor and is open-source. That right the source code and schematic are freely available. It is character based but with the source you can create any character dot pattern that you want.

PM me if you want to try-out one of the prototype units. I could even put custom characters in it if you want. I'm just trying to get the word out about it.

Bean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back