Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extremely simple, and light weight DC motor controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iflymyhelishigh

Hi guys. I am currently out to build a VERY SIMPLE and VERY LIGHT WEIGHT DC motor controller. Currently, I am trying to build a hovercraft for a school project. This hovercraft should be able to go in a straight line, and run off 2 double A batteries. I am sort of loopholing this idea, and running the hovercraft off a capacitor, thus lightening the load.

My circuit, a very simple one, uses a

1: 3 volt DC motor
2: 20F 3.7 volt capacitor
3: simple toggle switch

These parts work, but the problem is the capacitor discharges too fast for my liking, and that the motor vibrates at a high RPM, thus throwing the hovercraft off course. I do not know where to get a bigger capacitor, but I think that the main need is I need a PWM circuit, as simple as possible.

Thank you, iflymyhelishigh

A 20F capacitor discharged from 3.7V down to 1.7V is only equivalent to an 11.1mAh battery (about the same as a small button cell), an AAA NiMH cell is typically 1000mAh.

Last edited:
Hmm... Capacitors are at least 3 X as less weight as a standard battery.

Now, I am going to hook up 3 or more in parallel to try and increase capacity.

This race is for speed, and I feel that a capacitor will give me the speed I need.

I will try building that 555 circuit.

3x less weight as a standard battery?

I'd say it's much less than that.

How much current does the motor draw?

What's the internal impedance of the capacitors?

Are they memory back-up capacitors?

If so they'll have probably quite a high impedance, too high for what you want.

If it's 1A expect a couple of minutes at most from the capacitors (assuming a total of 60F) where two AA cells would last a couple of hours.

If you want to cut down on weight, why not use smaller batteries?

I bought my brother a toy helicopter.

The helicopter charges from the control unit which requires six AA batteries.

The helicopter has a built-in Lipol 3.7V 50mAH cell which is 20mm² and <5mm thick and is very light.

The Lipol cell is much smaller than the amount of supercapacitors you would require to store the same amount of energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back