Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extremely low Vce(sat) transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Hey,

I'm looking for a transistor with a ridiculously low Vce(sat) if possible. It needs to supply 250ma to a load, and will be driven by an output pin of a PIC (so 15-20ma drive current available I guess).

Any help is appreciated!

A logic level power Mosfet will have an extremely low saturation voltage when the current is only 250mA.
For example, An IRF3711 has a typical saturation voltage of only 1.5mV when its gate voltage is only 4.5V and will be lower when the pic drives its gate up to 5.0V.

I can't use a MOSFET here due to 3V operating voltage on the PIC, and needing to generate 1V across a load with an H-bridge. Which, on the top side of the h-bridge, only gives me 2V for a gate voltage :( I'm not experienced with transistors (I always use fet's for switches) so I didn't know how low Vce(sat) can get on nice parts, but since turn-on voltage is .7 or 1.4V I was thinking they might be an alternative.

Use a voltage doubler for the gate drive circuit?

You should use a bootstrap capacitor for the high side anyway.

Zetex has some low saturation bipolars in the range of 250mA.. also you said you can't use a mosfet but you can buy low logic level fets with 1.8V VGS(th) maximum.

speakerguy79 said:
Hey,

I'm looking for a transistor with a ridiculously low Vce(sat) if possible. It needs to supply 250ma to a load, and will be driven by an output pin of a PIC (so 15-20ma drive current available I guess).

It really sounds like almost any small transistor will do - but you don't actually mention what it's for, or why you think you need a "ridiculously low Vce(sat)".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back