Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extremely beginner question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Bought myself a new welder however it didn't come with a plug attached.

What im wondering is what plug I need to attach.

It says on rear of machine

INPUT
AC 230V

Does this mean just a normal house plug?

The wires seem a bit industrial for a normal house plug.

Please see picture below

https://i.imgur.com/W1uvQ0J.jpg

Thank you

No, requires a 240V outlet like would be used for a range, stove, dryer.

Does it say how many Amps it requires. Maybe in the Owners Manual Specifications page. Might be strapable to operate on 120V

You might need to put a dual-ganged 240V breaker in your panel, and run conduit to the workshop. I would use a NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 outlet and matching plug.

Last edited:
Well I got the impression that Gordon lives in the UK. However Mike thinks that Gordon lives in the USA.

The answer to the original question depends on where Gordon lives. A "normal house plug" is rated at 13 A and 230 V in the UK and 120 V and 15 A (or possibly 20 A) in the USA.

The answer also depends on the rating of the welder.

So, in answer to the question, I have two more questions:-

What country is the welder being used in?
What is the input current rating of the welder?

The wires are a little chunky compared to most mains connections, but they will probably fit a 13 A 230 V plug without too much trouble. Whether you should or not depends on the current rating and whether you want to plug it into a 13 A socket.

I live in the uk, I've a couple of welders a mig and a mma, both had bs4343 connectors (the round blue ones found in industrial applications).
Being totally irresponsible and farmer like both sets have a standard 13a plug on.
Theres been occaisions where the plugtop has welded itself into the socket or an extension has been a little too warm.
You can fit a standard uk mains plug, but please only use a 13a fuse designed for it, you'll get around 100amps or so weld current before the fuse goes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back