Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Externally triggerd timing/scoring system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotor4play

I've been doing searches all over the net trying to find what I need to put together a cheap but effective timming unit using a laptop and timing software. I don't know what's needed to inteface the start/stop sensors to the serial port so that it starts the clock stops the clock and records the time to a data cell for logging. Does anyone know of any diagrams for wirring and hookup to the serial port ?

An IC such as the ST232 attached will do the job. It converts RS232 levels into CMOS/TTL levels. I think there are other versions also such as the MAX232.

Attachments

• ST232.pdf
    94 KB · Views: 250
ljcox said:
An IC such as the ST232 attached will do the job. It converts RS232 levels into CMOS/TTL levels. I think there are other versions also such as the MAX232.
Thanks for the reply. I'll be working with 24vdc photo sensors and am pretty sure I don't want to put that voltage across any of the serial port pins so was going to use the output of the sensor to drive a relay. How would I go about using the relay input to tell the program to start the timer the second sensor/relay to stop the timer and load the timer reference into a cell in say excel.

Are you familiar with micro cotrollers? I would use a small PIC to read the output of the sensors. The PIC can meausure the time interval and send it to the computer. It can control the relay too.
As suggested, a MAX232 adapts the voltage levels.
You can use hyperterminal or similar tools to get the data and copy them into excel for following elaboration. If you require real-time calculations, you need to write a custom application with C or basic, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back