Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

external memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousCal

I'm considering a learning exercise on a PIC. I would like to use a minimal PIC to log up to 8K words of analog data. A nice, easy, cheap device would be a 12F675. It has the necessary speed and ADCs. Oh, and it's in the Flash1 DevKit - I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a programmer when I don't even know which devices I want to program. However, the 12F675 has a tiny memory, and apparently would be limited to a software UART.

Can I attach some sort of external memory to a 12F675?

Or am I being too cheap? Is there a more practical PIC for logging data? If cost were secondary, which processor would provide flash programming, USB, 4-8K RAM, and socket mounting (not surface mount)? I realize this wish list is well beyond the FLASH1 category.

curiousCal said:
However, the 12F675 has a tiny memory, and apparently would be limited to a software UART.

A software UART is no problem, it's very simple to do and takes very little more code than a hardware UART. My tutorials deal with both hardware and software UART's.

Can I attach some sort of external memory to a 12F675?

Or am I being too cheap? Is there a more practical PIC for logging data?

This would be fine, the main problem is the small number of pins available. For a data-logger you don't require large amounts of processor memory - you store the samples in external EEPROM, usually I2C EEPROM, this requires 2 I/O pins on the PIC. Again, my tutorials deal with doing this!.

My tutorials are based on the 16F628, but the 12F675 uses the same 14 bit core - so the code can be changed over with very little alteration required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back