Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extech MultiMeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamthole

I need a new multimeter and I was looking at the Extech line, specifically the 430. Does anyone have any experience with these and would recommend or not recommend them? I want to get one that is going to last me for a while. One of the reasons I picked the Extech is that is is relatively inexpensive, and it can measure current down to 0.1uA.

I have an ExTech EX330. I am satisfied with its operation and would recommend it.

The major difference between mine and the 430 is that the 430 is about one and one/haf inches longer and about 30 dollars more.

Spec-wise there isn't that much difference, according to the Jameco catalog.

I think the main difference it true RMS. I don't really need that right now...but I don't want to upgrade later if I do end up needing it. Thanks for the input though, I will now consider both.

I've got several extech meters (don't recall the numbers, they stayed home today) but I *think* one is a 330. I basically like it at the price but:
- Poor battery life
- display is hard to read (I'd like a backlight but that would kill batteries even worse).

overall, for what it is, it's pretty good.

philba said:
- Poor battery life
- display is hard to read (I'd like a backlight but that would kill batteries even worse).

overall, for what it is, it's pretty good.

Mine was a self-administered Christmas present, and I'm still on the original batteries although I use it frequently. It does have auto-shutoff in case I forget.

I agree with the display, although it is okay in normal lighting.

I still have, and use occasionally, the smallest Radio Shack DVM. Talk about a battery-eater!!

And I have an analog, for those times when I need to see an event.

AllVol said:
Mine was a self-administered Christmas present, and I'm still on the original batteries although I use it frequently. It does have auto-shutoff in case I forget.

I agree with the display, although it is okay in normal lighting.

I still have, and use occasionally, the smallest Radio Shack DVM. Talk about a battery-eater!!

And I have an analog, for those times when I need to see an event.

the auto shutoff sort of works on mine but I think it still drains the battery. If I let to go for more than a week in "auto shutoff mode" I have to replace the battery soon.

I have trouble with the contrast of non-backlit LCDs. especially cheap ones like extech. especially if it's at an angle and there are reflections.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back