Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Exploding button cell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.james

I charged some 3.6 V nominal button ells -see attached pic .I had them set up as a 3 in series 12V backup battery .

I must have got them 2 hot cause the first in a series line of 3 exploded suddenly shooting its contents just past the side of my head and it landed about 6 foot high from a 3 foot benchtop. I turned everything off and moved the battery pack away . After about 5 minutes a second one exploded which was the last in series . Only the middle survived and it measured 3.8V about ten minutes after turnoff.

I'll try to attach a photo . The explosion was twice as loud as an exploding cap and material ejected could definately get you in the eye. It blow straight up blowing the caps off the can upwards.

Second pic is before I found the lithium/copper ejected material which is alongside in the first.
This button cell is a bit dangerous . They are branded " Great Power". I agree with that

Attachments

• IMG_5354.JPG
    IMG_5354.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_5350.JPG
    IMG_5350.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
My first reaction to "Exploding button cell!" was that it sounded like a spy weapon.
Then I saw your screen name. Is your last name Bond, James Bond.
Don't try this at home!

What were you using to limit the charging current on them ?

Just about anything will explode or burn out if you pump it full of enough energy.

Were they even re-chargable cells?, most button cells aren't - but even those that are can be easily destroyed by incorrect treatment.

I suspect though that he's basically connected them to a high current source, and thus exploded them.

No-Name-Brand cheap Chinese junk should not be made with dangerous Lithium.
Great Power Battery Company in China make large lead-acid batteries, not button sized Lithium fire crackers.

Most lithium batteries are not to be recharged.
When I was research lithium recharging the key points are, low current and watch the voltage.
0 out of 2

When you connect in series, if batteries are different they will have different voltage. One may have 5V, while the other 3V.

Most lithium batteries are not to be recharged.
When I was research lithium recharging the key points are, low current and watch the voltage.
0 out of 2
No. Maybe you are talking about tiny button cells.
Some full size electric cars use Lithium rechargeable batteries. Extremely high current!
The latest huge jet airplanes use Lithium rechargeable batteries.
All modern cell phones use Lithium rechargeable batteries.
All Laptop and smaller computers use Lithium rechargeable batteries.
Electric model airplanes, helicopters, cars and boats use Lithium rechargeable batteries. Extremely high current!
Modern power tools use Lithium rechargeable batteries. Extremely high current!
I probably left out a few products that use Lithium rechargeable batteries.

You are right I was thinking of my little world.
I was using very small button batteries. The voltage had to be monitored to see when they were fully charged.

Never looked at my name like that before .Not in thirty years so I will just say amazing how some brains associate There again a big sector of the worlds population put their surname first I guess

To be exact - here is the battery in question and datasheet
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12624

Last edited:
Yes I think you may have charged them wrong.
How ware you trying to charge them?

Till they caught on fire and had to be replaced with NiCads.
Why would anybody use old-fashioned NiCads??
Gizmodo says, "Tonight, Boeing detailed its solution for the 787 Dreamliner's battery problems. It involves improving the battery itself, fixing the charging system and adding another layer of protection with an added enclosure. Boeing is still committed to lithium-ion batteries and this solution will allow Boeing to continue to use them in the 787.

Why would anybody use old-fashioned NiCads??
Gizmodo says, "Tonight, Boeing detailed its solution for the 787 Dreamliner's battery problems. It involves improving the battery itself, fixing the charging system and adding another layer of protection with an added enclosure. Boeing is still committed to lithium-ion batteries and this solution will allow Boeing to continue to use them in the 787.
Till they could fix the Lithium ones they used NiCad. Its still lighter than lead.

This once happened to me when I was daft enough to try and solder to a sr44.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back