Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

exploding batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

OK, I know this sounds stupid, but what is the best way to make a battery explode? I am too bored for my own good and I want to explode a 9V battery. I know that shorting a battery can cause it to explode, but that takes too long for me. without throwing a battery in a fire, is there an alternate way to explode a battery?

I would really appreciate any circuits that can be provided to help achieve this goal.

perhaps something that provides excessive feedback into the battery may do the trick, or something powered by multiple 9V batteries?

I have A LOT of 9V batteries and would like to amuse myself by exploding them and DO NOT TELL ME THAT IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE I ALREADY KNOW AND STILL WANT TO DO IT.
thank you

Your request has been forwarded to the Department Of Homeland Security. Expect a response from them momentarily.

Conect them to the mains :twisted:

Dont forget the balast or the cirucit breaker will trip.And powerful heater sould make an great balast.

Oh and post some videos!

Yeah, student John Schmidt always thought it was lots of fun to install the little 10µF radial-lead caps into the solderless breadboard backwards. He's popularly known as "One-Eyed Jack" today.

Deliberately destroying components was a great pasttime for my students who were more interested in amusing themselves than they were in learning electronics. They loved deliberately smoking resistors (I never could keep the things lit, myself) and running LEDs without current-limiting resistors just to watch them die. You know I loved having to replace vandalized parts on a limited budget or telling deserving students that they can't do a certain experiment because another student thought it funny to destroy an expensive trainer.

So, you like the idea of exploding batteries, huh? Go find yourself a big UPS -- I'm not talking about these rinky-dink things that are used on PCs -- an UPS that supports an entire building of electronics that has a double-car-garage-size building of its own to hold hundreds of large NiCd wet-cells for the backup power. The kind of system that, if you accidentally drop a 12-inch adjustable end wrench across a main bus, will vaporize the wrench. Now, there's a battery system to amuse yourself with.

Dean

I was going to say something about a rechargable lithium battery but maybe I shouldn't, it's too dangerous.

I once got my hands on those realy old electrolics that dont safe fail.

So i toght i will try it out.So i conected an 16V 470uF cap directly to an big 60V trasformer.I put the cap in a transparent plastic box and an nother box on top.Then i pluged it in. buzzing for 3 seconds.Then KABOOOOMM!!!! The box that was on top flyed about 1 meter in the air. What was left ware a litle fuzy white stuff the can and some shreded foil.So they realy do expode good.

Never tryed abusing an 9V batery in such way, But as i sead some mains over it sound do the trick by heating it up a lot.

I dont have a building-sized UPS, and while I KNOW it will be fun, I can't connect it to the mains, due to a promise I have made to not mess with the house's power supply, but I have a nearly inexhaustible supply of 9V batteries.

I did connect about 47 of them in series (about 435 volts!!!) connecting directly snap to snap, and used alligator clip jumpers to connect the batteries to a 63V 1000uF capacitor. I had fun putting quarter inch craters in a quarter nearby. After a couple of charges, I was feeling the batteries because a small group of them were getting hot, and as soon as I put my hand on one of the batteries, the back end of it bursted out with the sound of a firecracker, spraying electrolyte all over my hands and clothes.

I figure that the batteries shorted the capacitor and was getting a huge ammount of feedback back into the batteries. I dont want to set off the whole chain of batteries like a row of firecrackers or short out my house's power supply, so I would like to know if there is some kind of voltage amplifier that can increase feedback voltage into a 9V battery and explode the cells, without using up the charge in all of the batteries.

and I would just like to have fun as well.

then get two car baterys an wire them togeter to get 24V at 100 amps of curent.This should shurly make it bang

Someone Electro said:
then get two car baterys an wire them togeter to get 24V at 100 amps of curent.This should shurly make it bang

100A is a VERY low estimate for a car battery, they will supply a LOT more current than that!.

Perhaps it's a bit pointless saying 'be careful' when you're wanting to blow things up - but, BE CAREFUL!.

Speaking of exploding batteries...I just had a bad experience myself. I was playing with a thin paperclip and a 13.6V drill battery at the same time. Shorted the clip across the battery for less than one second. I have VERY bad burns on my fingers, in the pattern of a paperclip :lol: . I learned my lesson. I guess that is how the cold heat soldering iron works.

My question is, what causes the battery to literally explode? Chemical Reaction going to fast, generating gas???

thanks,

George L.

George L. said:
My question is, what causes the battery to literally explode? Chemical Reaction going too fast, generating gas???
Batteries generate oxygen and hydrogen which are absorbed internally when they have normal low currents.
At very high currents, the gas cannot be absorbed and the battery gets hot inside like your paperclip and causes its electrolyte to boil, making steam. Lots of pressure makes an explosion.

Halogrunt1234 said:
OK, I know this sounds stupid, but what is the best way to make a battery explode? I am too bored for my own good and I want to explode a 9V battery. I know that shorting a battery can cause it to explode, but that takes too long for me. without throwing a battery in a fire, is there an alternate way to explode a battery?

I would really appreciate any circuits that can be provided to help achieve this goal.

perhaps something that provides excessive feedback into the battery may do the trick, or something powered by multiple 9V batteries?

I have A LOT of 9V batteries and would like to amuse myself by exploding them and DO NOT TELL ME THAT IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA BECAUSE I ALREADY KNOW AND STILL WANT TO DO IT.
thank you

my god man....find a hobby

try taking up welding....TIG welding...only about $1,500 for a cheap welder and get all the safety gear and try it out........yea it aint fun nor is it easy...but the money you can make with it is good

thanks for the explanation audioguru,

just curious, what is the exact reaction, i think it has something to do with lead di"something" and sulfuric acid as the electrolyte???

would really appreciate some help.

thanks,

George L.

Hi George,
As a battery explodes, the breaking wires make a spark that probably ignites the hydrogen! Ka-Boom!

To elaborate on earlier posts and to clarify any questions, check

**broken link removed**

It's very interesting...but short.

-Infamous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back