Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

explanation needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinsoon

hello there,

here is a receiver circuit controlling a relay...

i need to know what is the function of the FET, transformer and also the op- amp in the circuit...

i appreciate all the helps given.

thanks

Attachments

• tx.JPG
    tx.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 187
The FET is a mixer down-converter that mixes the input RF with the crystal frequency to make a lower IF frequency.

The transformer matches the high impedance from the FET to the low input impedance of the IC. It might be tuned but it doesn't appear to have capacitors. It also provides DC isolation.

The IC isn't an opamp. Opamps have two inputs. Look at its datasheet- it is a complete AM radio. It amplifies the IF frequency and AM detects its modulation.

To be more exact, it's a complete TRF AM receiver, in this case being used as an IF amplifier, in conjunction with an external mixer/oscillator to make a superhet.

Isn't the ZN414 also long obselete?, but I seem to remember a new version - perhaps the ZN424?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Isn't the ZN414 also long obselete?
Most circuits posted from the Far East are very old and use parts that were discontinued long ago.

The modern equilavent it the MK484.

trouble..

thank you alot. but now i have another problem

i search through the article that introduces this circuit, but i cant find the specs of the IFT. they just mentioned that it is a 470KHZ IFT. thats all... so i am stuck here..

any idea what is that? or is there anything i can find that can replace the transformer?

thanks

Last edited:
chinsoon said:
thank you alot. but now i have another problem

i search through the article that introduces this circuit, but i cant find the specs of the IFT. they just mentioned that it is a 470KHZ IFT. thats all... so i am stuck here..

any idea what is that? or is there anything i can find that can replace the transformer?

It's just a standard IF transformer - take one out of an old AM radio!.

Hi pouchito
the issues are
1. IF transformer -tuned --yes-- there is an internal capacitor-the schematic did not show it. it is parallel to primary (full einding)
2. IFT frequency-- generally 455KHz-- but you can tune it to 470also by the ferrite screw over there. -- the core has to come out, say few degrees anticlockwise.-- if not the tone decoder can perphaps be worked at 455KHz.
3. ZN414-- availability-- already HERO999 suggested later version . MK484--even if we find -how you get and at what cost? Perhaps with little more effort you can locate a piece or two ,sometime even from scrap. if bulk is needed definitly some like digikey,farnel etc will supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back