Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Experimenting with 220V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Hi,
I have some experiments with the 220v mains. So i thought it would be better to ask it here, before i would do it.
I wanted to carry on 3 expts. they are well illustrated in figure.

EXPT1>
Q1 : Through which switch does the current flow, when both the switches are closed?
Q2 : If it flows through both the switches, will it be equally distributed?

EXPT2>
Q1: What happens if i short both the terminals bulb with 220V?

EXPT3>
Q1: What happens to the 'High-resistive Indicator' Lamp, when i switch ON a 60 W bulb? Will it Switch OFF(Since current through it will be low)?

Q: What is the max current that a household domestic supply can draw?

Attachments

• EXPT220.JPG
    EXPT220.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 174
Expt 1
Q1- both
Q2- No one switch will have lower contact resistance
Expt2 Don't understand the question
Expt3
It may dim slightly (very slightly)
Q Depends on a lot of variables.

Expt 1
Q1- both
Q2- No one switch will have lower contact resistance
Expt2 Don't understand the question
Expt3
It may dim slightly (very slightly)
Q Depends on a lot of variables.
EXPT1 : I think, contact resistance wouldn't differ the current to a large extent.
EXPT 2 : What i mean is : ' Both the terminals of bulb is fed with 220V (PHASE) instead of [as usually connected] terminals with PHASE and NEUTRAL.
EXPT3 : was a trivial one, i got the same answer while thinking like that.

Experiment 2: Big explosion.

You obviously do not have a clue and you shouldn't be playing with 220V!!!!!

If I understand correctly Exp2 won't execute anything visible output :)..because the bulb fed with same phase line doesn't carry any potential difference and thus 0 current flow through the filament.

If J2 is closed in exp 2, something may explode or overheat.

The answer to 'how much current can I draw' has two possibilities about what causes the limit:
1) The fuse or circuit breaker blows (have a look at it to see what value it says)
2) A wire will melt and possibly cause a fire, resulting in the possible buring down of your/your parent's house.

Hi,
I have some experiments with the 220v mains. So i thought it would be better to ask it here, before i would do it.
I wanted to carry on 3 expts. they are well illustrated in figure.

EXPT1>
Q1 : Through which switch does the current flow, when both the switches are closed?
Q2 : If it flows through both the switches, will it be equally distributed?

EXPT2>
Q1: What happens if i short both the terminals bulb with 220V?

EXPT3>
Q1: What happens to the 'High-resistive Indicator' Lamp, when i switch ON a 60 W bulb? Will it Switch OFF(Since current through it will be low)?

Q: What is the max current that a household domestic supply can draw?

Exp 1:
Q1 ans: The Current will flow through both the switches.
Q2 ans: From the figure you have provided, you have connected ammeters in series with the switches, if the current drawn by the ammeter coil (ammeter acts as a load - low current only ) is exactly equal means, the current flowing through the switched also be equal. if they vary, the current also vary. If you remove those ammeters i am damn sure that the current flowing through both the switches are exactly equal.

Exp 2:
Q1 ans : if you connect the circuit and press the "j2|" instantly your home's safety fuse is blown or the trip circuit is activated.
If you still want to see the result without damaging any house electricity system. connect a bulb type 230V/2A fuse seriously with phase and operate the experiment.

Exp 3:
Q1 ans: I think the resister you have connected is 1 tera ohm. but you didnt mention anything about the current rating of the resister. if it is low rated then the supply current the resistor may explode or the resistor may acts like an open circuit, but i dont think that the buld will glow.

Q ans: That depends on the house hold equipments and your home electricity's maximum current rating it also depends on the number of phases you are using. in my home no equipment will draw more than 5A current. I am not sure about this

If I understand correctly Exp2 won't execute anything visible output :)..because the bulb fed with same phase line doesn't carry any potential difference and thus 0 current flow through the filament.

Execute? hey dude he is connecting real components directly into AC mains, he's not simulating. even in the simulation it'll show error :)

maximum current

r.vittalkiran Q: What is the max current that a household domestic supply can draw?

Depends in what country you are and upon which tariff you are set by the powercompany.

MAINS FUSES

In NZ it is 63 or 80 Amps single phase at 240 Volts.
2 phase at 240 / 415 Volts or 480 volts, split phase 63 Amps
3 phase at 240 / 415 Volts 63 Amps.

The circuit power points are often rated at 10, 15 or 20 Amps.

In most countries power points are rated as above, at 15 Amps average.

r.vittalkiran Q: What is the max current that a household domestic supply can draw?

Depends in what country you are and upon which tariff you are set by the powercompany.

MAINS FUSES

In NZ it is 63 or 80 Amps single phase at 240 Volts.
2 phase at 240 / 415 Volts or 480 volts, split phase 63 Amps
3 phase at 240 / 415 Volts 63 Amps.

The circuit power points are often rated at 10, 15 or 20 Amps.

In most countries power points are rated as above, at 15 Amps average.

in canada and usa generally main breaker is between 60 to 225 amp split phase 120/240 V

but how do they limit the current? ' if its fuse, i change it with an high guage wire!'

Last edited:
Execute? hey dude :)

I thought r.vittal is dong Exp no.2 as follows:

Scenario1: J1 is open and J2 is closed
Output: Bulb lights as normal.

Scenario2: J2 is open and J1 is closed(in picture)
Output: Nothing because there's no potential difference and current flow.

Scenario3: Both J1 and J2 is closed
Output: r.vittal is no more in electrotech. -and I don't think he'll do it because if then he won't be placing J1 over there as his objective behind is to experience different ways of lighting a bulb.

Hope this helps :)

I thought r.vittal is dong Exp no.2 as follows:

Scenario1: J1 is open and J2 is closed
Output: Bulb lights as normal.

Scenario2: J2 is open and J1 is closed(in picture)
Output: Nothing because there's no potential difference and current flow.

Scenario3: Both J1 and J2 is closed
Output: r.vittal is no more in electrotech. -and I don't think he'll do it because if then he won't be placing J1 over there as his objective behind is to experience different ways of lighting a bulb.

Hope this helps :)

ha ha , i have done this scenario 3 once in my home. not with the bulb, but an electromagnet. when i was in 7th grade i took long steel rod and winded the copper wire over it then i directly plugged the conductors in AC mains and switched it with a stick, BOOM, my father came upstairs and laughed a lot on seeing my experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back