Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Excited now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Just been to Cerco IT Training and Recruitment, and have been accepted for their training! Very excited! I know IT isn't electronics, but it's a lot closer than anything else I've done. Could have a tech job in the not too distant future!

Whhooooopppeeeee!

So you are going to become a International Telegrapher?

4691445-hand-tapping-morse-code-on-an-antique-telegraph-machine.jpg

magvitron - thanks :D
tcmtech - well, not quite!

Hi throbscottle

I don't know what Cerco IT is, but it sounds good :D

Best of luck and may you do really well. Holding thumbs for you.

tvtech

tvtech - www.cercoitrecruitment.co.uk/

I made a speculative application to an EPOS company (forget who) when I copied down the phone number off the side of one of their vans, and they said they only use IT staff who have been through Cerco - that was when I first heard of them, few months ago.

Hello there,

Well that sounds great, and i just want to wish you the best of luck with your new career.

I truly hope it works out for you. It would be wonderful to be able to do what you love to do and get paid for it.

There are some cautions to consider in dealing with any employment agency. That field is a magnet for scum who take advantage of vulnerable people and provide very little help.

1) Cerco IT appears to be an employment agency that charges the prospective worker for its services. It offers temporary, full-time, and permanent opportunities. We have such agencies in the US, as well as agencies that charge fees only to the employer. There is a third option in which the agency gets paid by the worker after the worker is placed. And of course, there are blends of the three payment arrangements.

One could argue that a worker who is willing to pay an employment agency is more motivated to get a job than the worker who isn't willing to do that. Thus, he may make a better worker. He might also be a lousy employee who can't keep a job and is desperate. Unfortunately, once the agency has been paid, what is its motivation to get you a job? And remember, if you are a good employee, you won't be a repeat customer.

On the other hand, an employment agency that is paid by the employer has a strong motivation to place good employees, because of the prospect of repeat business.

I would want to know what Cerco's success rate was for placements before putting down any cash up front. What is Cerco's motivation to get YOU a job, once it has been paid? Now, if the reimbursement was based on a percentage of your salary, that might be a safer bet. Are its placements mostly part-time fill-ins or permanent positions. I suspect you want a permanent position. Many such agencies can be successful at filling part-time needs (i.e., "temps"), but don't do so well in placing permanent employees.

2) Have you checked out Cerco's reputation with any other employers or third parties? We have the Better Business Bureau (BBB) in the US. There may be a similar service in the UK to help check out a business.

3) Here's one blog that popped up on a Google search: **broken link removed**

Again, despite those concerns, I wish the very best for you.

John

John - thanks for the concern, but it is illegal in the uk (I believe) for an agency (or anyone else) to charge a prospective employee for finding them work.

Cerco used to charge for the training they offer, but for business reasons now provide it for free. They built up a very good reputation over many years for supplying high quality staff, and they try to fit people in positions where they can continue to learn whilst in work. What works particularly well for me is that they don't just want people with qualifications and/or industry experience, they want people who have an aptitude for IT who they can train to do real jobs - which is what I am.

Because I have no industry experience I can't even get a job as a cable box installer to work up from, so this really does look like the best chance I'll ever have to get any kind of tech job. I just won't believe the naysayers.

That is an interesting law in the UK, but for every law to promote decency, there is a work around.

I only raised those concerns, because I have worked with employment agencies over the years and have seen a fair number of applicants from those agencies. Some agencies are decent; some are real scum.

I really do wish you the very best.

John

I understand Johns views that this company may be a bit of a shady outfit, I have no knowledge either way.

However, sometimes you have to take a chance.

I once left a secure job with a large shipbuilding company to take a job 400 miles away working for a small contracting company which was run by someone who was considered by some to be ruthless and verging on deceitfull.
However, everything which that guy promised me came true, and advice from that guy led me down what was an interesting and fruitfull career path.

So, go with your eyes wide open beware of the traps and good luck.

JimB

Thanks JimB - and I'm glad that particular gamble worked out for you :). I choose "interesting" over "money" nearly every time. Probably why most of my life has been moderately hard. The occasions when I've chosen "money" have made me miserable.

Update

Well, I've just spent 2 weeks training with Cerco to become a desktop support technician. Now just have to wait for that first call to say they have some work for me. No doubt at all they are completely above board. There is lot's of demand so should be getting that call soon :) Watch this space!

Update

Well, I've just spent 2 weeks training with Cerco to become a desktop support technician. Now just have to wait for that first call to say they have some work for me. No doubt at all they are completely above board. There is lot's of demand so should be getting that call soon :) Watch this space!

I have a huge amount of respect for you throbscottle...

You are one of those people that joins a forum and fits right in....gets major Rep...asks questions....chirps....and still admits he has faults...
And gets Rep anyway.....

Man, I had to work hard to get mine :D

Stay well throbscotttle.

Envious of you ;)

tvtech

throbscottle, best of luck.

You are correct to get the experience, thats the key. If it's not in your specific field of training, you may encounter something that will lead you on a path more suited for you.

Watch industry trends, reading them, stay ahead of the curve in the Market.

To be apart of something rather than being a part of nothing, to be able to meeting new people - network your way along, you may find someone who knows the next big thing and you'll just slip right into it.

Regards,
kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back